Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deck in an alfresco area?

ANGEL_IGNACIO
Just Starting Out

How to build a deck in an alfresco area?

Gday, I want to install decking on alfresco.Kindly help me how to built one?

Thank you so much for your help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DECKING AT ALFRESCO

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ANGEL_IGNACIO. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a deck.

If you could upload an image of the area in question and provide a few specifics on the deck you'd like to create, including the height and size, our helpful members would be much better placed to offer useful advice. Let me know if you need assistance uploading an image.

The best place to start would be familiarising yourself with the principles of building a deck. I recommend you look at this helpful guide on How to build a low-level deck and then read through this step-by-step guide on How to build a deck.

I also suggest having a look at the Bunnings deck-building guide:

Here's a general outline of the steps involved:

• Start by planning the design of your decking area and measuring the area you want to cover. This will allow you to list the components and better understand how you'll need to construct the deck.

• Purchase decking boards, joists, joist supports, screws, and other necessary tools or materials. H3-treated Pine will be used for the majority of the deck frame.

• Use H4-treated Pine posts or galvanized steel stirrups to support your joists. These will be concreted into the ground, or the joist themselves can be fixed to a pre-existing solid surface with angled brackets and Dynabolts. The calibre of your joists will determine spacing, but for example, with 90 x 45mm joists, your supports should be around 1000mm apart. The joists will be spaced 450mm apart and attached securely to the posts.

• Start at one end of the structure and lay the first board across the joists, ensuring it's flush with the edge. Screw it into place with decking screws, then continue laying the remaining boards. Leave a 3-5mm gap between each board for expansion and contraction.

• Once all the boards are in place, trim off any overhanging ends with a saw and apply decking oil to protect the timber. If you use a hardwood such as Merbau, you need to let it weather for several weeks before applying the oil. This process can be sped up by using New Timber Prep.

Remember to wear PPE when constructing your deck, including safety glasses, gloves, face mask, long-sleeved shirt and pants and enclosed footwear. 

I'm keen to hear more details on your project and provide further assistance. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects