Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a footpath using pavers as edging?

Student
Getting Established

How to build a footpath using pavers as edging?

I want to build a footpath with pavers (50mm thick) as edging. The footpath has a slope on it and one side is garden and the other side is pebbles for the path. I am just wondering what i should use as the base, and in between the pavers.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Using pavers as edging

Good Evening @Student 

I was wondering if you could include a few photos of the area you are wanting to create a path in. Just so we can get an idea of how the ground slopes and what else there might be to consider. 

So the path you want is all pebbles and the edge is going to be pavers?  

Without seeing the photos Id be removing the grass plus that top 5cm of soil, then would be laying down some weedmatting and placing the pebbles on top. With the edging pavers I would lay them directly along the edge of the weedmat before you put in the pebbles. There are a range of weedmats at Bunnings, just depends on how enviromental you want to be.

You could also lay down some treated timber along the edge for the pavers to butt up against if you wished. 75 x 25mm l m h3 treated pine sawn cca You could rip the timber down the center (cut in half) and then use timber pegs driven into the ground to hold it in place. It would stop the pavers wanting to spread out.

If the ground where the edge is soft or spongy you could tamp it to a firm base using a tamp bar. Tamp Bar Trojan 

Tho this could change once we see some pics :smile:

Dave

Student
Getting Established

Thanks Dave  The path is going in between what was used as a parking area with a garden either side.

Looking up to the drivewayLooking up to the driveway

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a footpath using pavers as edging?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Student. It's a pleasure having you join us and we look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects.

Great to see you've received advice from @Dave-1 and thanks for uploading photos of the area where you want to build a footpath. It's a busy time on the site but I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to provide some suggestions as soon as he can.

In the meantime, let me tag our ever-helpful members in @Jewelleryrescue@TaylerMayd@Lmassih@TedBear and @TheHandySqirrel to see if they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a footpath using pavers as edging?

Hi  @Student 

You can simply dig the ground a bit and sit the pavers on it for the simpelist soloution

Or 

you dig out the paver line you wanted 100mm deep and use sand and cement mix and place it in 100mm trench and lay your pavers  in the wet cement use  straight piece of timber and a small hammer and tap the timber on top of the pavers so they are flat and level now lay more  pavers putting in sand and cement between the pavers.

Best method. as In your photo follow that example.

And  or use steel reo bar in under the in the cement under pavers to support the pavers even if the ground sinks in places

Wash cemented pavers with  wet dust pan  brush to get most  of any excess mortor off paver face after you lay then on the sameday will save a lot of  hard clean up.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see you've received some helpful responses there @Student

Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions we can assist with.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Student 

Going through emails after getting back to work (Oh fun) and realised I never followed up after you posted your pic. Did you build a path or is it in the "yet to be done pile"?

Dave

Student
Getting Established

Yes it has completed.Path CompletedPath Completed 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @Student, it looks terrific. You might need to change your username to master!

Jason

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: @Student 

That looks brilliant, nice effort! And no mowing :smile: Certainly will keep yopur feet dry when its raining.

How did you end up constructing it? It really blends in well.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects