Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a frame for low-level deck?

chrisizms
Finding My Feet

How to build a frame for low-level deck?

Hi

I'm looking at building a deck on my back alfresco area. it will be on the concrete slab. my question is what the best way is to do the subframe as I only have 150mm to work with (not including the decking thickness). The area in 5.4 x 5.0m ill be using ekodeck

any help would be appreciated thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how should i go about my deck subframe

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chrisizms. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

With a space of 150mm minus 19mm for decking, that leaves you with 131mm, so you can use 90 x 45mm H3 for your frame. That will leave you with a 40mm air gap under the frame, and you could either attach it to the concrete with angle brackets, like many of our members have, or adjustable feet are another option.

Check out this guide on How to build a low-level deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks mitchell

My overall is 173 with the 23mm ekodeck so leaves me 150

I was unsure if I would get away with 70 x 45 bearer and 70 x 45 joist with 10mm packer/brackets.

If I was to go with the adjustable feet what are the spacing specs on those 

Hi @chrisizms,

You can do a joist over bearer system, but typically low-level decks are constructed from a single layer of joists. I can't see much benefit in using a bearer in your application, especially if the bearer and joist are only 70mm, and you're effectively reducing the air gap under the timber by doing so. Using a single 90mm joist with a larger air gap underneath would be the more effective method. Having adequate air flow under a low-level deck is quite important and helps prevent the early onset of decay.

Any reason why you'd like to go with the joist over bearer arrangement?

The minimum height for the adjustable feet would be 25mm with the mini-foot.

Mitchell

Thanks for the help!

What is the recommendation for the spacing of the adjustable feet?

The spacing on the feet is determined by the load-bearing characteristics of the joist/bearer, @chrisizms. For instance, if you do go with 90 x 45mm MGP10 framing, I'd typically advise that it needs to be supported every 1000mm, but it can span a fair distance further than that. Placing the adjustable feet every metre would be a safe bet.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects