Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a granny flat?

AN79
Just Starting Out

How to build a granny flat?

Hi , Greetings !

Can anyone help me with the approx cost of Timber frame for Granny plat of about 60 sq mt.

which wood we usually use and would like to build and weather board from outside and gyprock from inside !

Thus this type of structure have enough life is maintained !

Regards 

Aman 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a granny flat?

Hello @AN79 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your granny flat.

In this particular situation, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder and a draftsperson. The draftsperson can draw and design your granny flat in accordance with the established rules and regulations of your local council. Thus, when you submit your plans to the council for a permit it will get quick approval.

Your granny flat is like a miniature home, but the rules for its construction are still the same. This is where the builder comes in as they are familiar with building practices and regulations. They will advise you on construction materials and the best way to save on them.   

The type of timber to be used on your granny flat will vary, but the most common will be H3 framing timber. Depending on how your granny flat will be designed, the footing for it can either be timber, concrete or steel. 

I suggest finding a draftsperson first and asking them to design a granny flat in accordance with your ideas. The draftsperson will then guide you on what steps are to be taken to get council approval. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects