Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a letterbox panel?

LogicalShirt
Just Starting Out

How to build a letterbox panel?

I'm looking to build a fence panel to hold a letterbox and have a couple of questions to make sure we do it properly the first time so it lasts a long time!

I'm thinking of something similar to this one except L-shaped.  Dimensions will be about 1000 mm tall, front side between 700 mm and 900 mm wide, and the second side only 450 mm to max 600 mm (depending on what looks in proportion with the letterbox and efficient in terms of wastage).  If I kept it as a U shape, I definitely wouldn't want the shorter sides to be too deep (probably 450 mm max) to allow access to the back of the letterbox.

Something like this one I spotted on Google but with the side the same height as the frontSomething like this one I spotted on Google but with the side the same height as the front

-  Would Ecodeck screening or other similar composite be suitable instead of timber decking? 

-  We have clay soil which is a pain to dig more than 100 mm or so into.  So instead of digging post holes, would it work if we concreted in some pavers for a level base and then used post stirrups/anchors?  Something like these ?

Thanks for any insights!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Options re: build/install a letterbox panel

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LogicalShirt. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a built-in letterbox frame.

Ekodeck would certainly be a long-lasting option and likely a good choice for your project.

Bedding concrete pavers down would provide a reasonable base, and the pavers would allow you to install stirrups and posts onto them. With the weight of the pavers, the structure should be relatively solid and difficult to tip over.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects