Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck in two parts?

ScottR
Growing in Experience

How to build a low-level deck in two parts?

Hello! Could I get some advise whether it'll be good to just do the framing of the deck in one go or have them in 2 separate parts? I think I have a huge L shape decking project that would take time (first timer) so I was thinking of separating this into two parts where part 1 is in Yellow and part 2 is blue.  Part 1 and part 2 would be done months apart.

ScottR_0-1702623475899.png

Details:

- Yellow and blue highlighted areas will all be concreted

- house structure is brick

- all measurements are in mm

My plans:

- low level 172-180mm height floating deck

- add an Alfresco enclosure on top of deck where you see the jagged dotted lines are in Outdoor living

- framing would be this 

- the deck would be this

- Do something similar like: https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Featured-Projects/Low-level-composite-deck-over-concrete-and... project

Thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low level deck in 2 parts?

Hello @ScottR 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding your decking plans. There is absolutely nothing wrong with building your decking frame in sections. In fact, I believe that it is advantageous as shorter frames are easier to support and can be made a lot stiffer. Even your long 8.5-meter length section would be better built in sections.

It would present the opportunity to install breaker boards and you would have an easier time lining up the decking panels. You've picked an excellent example when it comes to decking frames. The one you've chosen shows how you can build over concrete and open ground.

My best advice is to make sure that you have your drainage sorted out before you begin your assembly.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ScottR
Growing in Experience

Thank you and apologies for the late response Eric! I'll certainly build my deck into sections then. 

Question: What are you thoughts on having a low level floating deck (not attached to concrete) but having this floating deck enclosed?  This is the end goal I want to achieve. I don't live in cyclonic zone. Could floating deck hold this weight or do I need the deck to be bolted to the concrete as I'm trying to avoid bolting anything to my concrete.  Thanks! 

ScottR_0-1705654587324.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ScottR,

Creating a floating deck is certainly an option. However, for the joists directly under the window frames, I'd recommend you bolt those down to provide a solid base in those areas. If you are enclosing the deck with windows that connect it to the house, then you are now in the ballpark of requiring council permission for your build, so I'd certainly recommend that you contact them first to work out whether this style of build would require approval and plans to be submitted.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects