Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck over grass and materials?

penpan8988
Growing in Experience

How to build a low-level deck over grass and materials?

Hi there team Bunnings,

Hope you are well, 

I was wondering if you can kindly help me with the following as I'm planning to build a low level deck due to land sloping down towards my backdoor.

1. My pergola is 25sqm, would I need to connect the downpipe to a storm water drainage? the downpipe is on the last pole on the right hand corner. The storm water connection is very far down the house on the side. 

2. What is the minimum clearance would I need for a low level deck if i'm planning to use Galvanised post, H4 for bearers and H3 for joist?

3. As my land slopes down towards my back door and water seems to flow towards the house, is there a drainage issue I need to think about? If so, can you please kindly recommend me a solution?

4. I plan on digging up the grass, which weed mat would you recommend to purchase? Would you also recommend the clips or drainage sand?

Any additional advice to what I have not thought of would be much appreciated :smile:

Many thanks for your help!!

20221110_182646 (1).jpg

Re: Low Level Deck and Materials

Your deck looks amazing, @penpan8988!

In my opinion, I don't believe that the rough area will compromise the longevity of the plank. I've included an image of a similar area from my deck (it's due for a re-oil). I have a few areas like this on the deck. It was built over a year ago, and I can't see any signs of degradation. Prior to your next oiling, you might like to give the area a light sand with 240-grit sandpaper to smooth it out. Just make sure to sand along the board and not across it. Sanding across it might introduce scratch marks.

If you are concerned about the board, I'd be more than happy to facilitate an exchange of it for you. 

Mitchell

IMG_20230131_124529_720.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects