Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck with 90mm clearance between floor and outdoor concrete?

dragoslasher
Getting Established

How to build a low-level deck with 90mm clearance between floor and outdoor concrete?

I wanted to ask some advise as I am planning to diy my backyard deck. Im planning a 3m x 5m deck however I am not sure if I can use 70x45mm timber as my joist. I only have 90mm clearance from the concreate to my door.  In addition the concrete is not level. I have 110mm clearance at the back of the concrete. Need some advice. Thanks

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a low-level deck with 90mm clearance between floor and outdoor concrete?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @dragoslasher. We're delighted to have you join us and hope you find our site a handy resource containing useful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring ideas for your home and garden projects. 

Thanks for your question. Decking projects are very popular among our community. To help our members and D.I.Y. experts provide more tailored advice suited to your requirements, can I please request you to share some photos of your backyard and the concrete area where you're planning on building the deck?

To help you get started, I'd recommend reading through experienced renovator @Adam_W's guide on How to build a low-level deck and How to build a deck by resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc in case they help. You can also check out our Top 10 most popular decking projects if you're after some project inspiration.

Please do keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see the final result.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to build a low-level deck with 90mm clearance between floor and outdoor concrete?

Screenshot_20231117_103804_Gallery.jpg

Thanks Akanksha...Here is my back area where I am planning install a deck. The slab is not evenly distance in that brick area. Thanks for the link you sent as it gives me more idea.I am thinking to double joist with 70x40...any thoughts?

Hi @dragoslasher,

You can create a deck frame with 70 x 45mm timber; you just have to support it more frequently than 90 x 45mm. Whereas you might support 90 x 45mm at 1000mm centres for 70 x 45mm, you'd need support every 700mm or so. Double 70mm joists is an option and would allow you to space the supports further apart.

I'd recommend you consider using adjustable pedestal feet for supports, as they'll allow you to level the deck to suit your slope.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thank you Mitch...Your recommendations boost my moral now to DIY. 

Keep us updated, @dragoslasher and reach out when you need assistance; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Tried to create a plan so that I can estimate the number of pedestal and timber and below is what I came up with. Hopefully this is not overkill

dragoslasher_1-1700204900540.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dragoslasher 

Your decking plan looks good. Are the blue lines meant to represent noggins? If they are, I suggest offsetting them so that they will not line up with each other. Not only will this make it easier to install but provide better support for the frame.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects