Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck with composite material?

GuptaG
Finding My Feet

How to build a low-level deck with composite material?

I’m planning to do my self decking at front of house.i need help for purchase materials and step by step instructions.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Low level concrete decking with composite material

Good Afternoon @GuptaG 

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: You will find loads of how to build decks in here! or get distraced by the loads of other projects :smile:

Nice sketch you have there, Looks like you may have an idea of the type of timber or composite you want to use?

A couple of things would help in figuring out what you might need, the height of the ground to the height that you want the deck to be. A few pictures of the overall area and anything specific you may be unsure of would help.

That 480mm section is meantto be walke don or for some other idea? 

Will wait for some pics and then might be able to come up with some ideas. :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GuptaG. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

You might like to start by reading through these guides: How to build a low-level deck and How to build a deck. Also, check out our Top 10 most popular deck projects for ideas and inspiration.

As @Dave-1 has mentioned, to start working out the materials you need, we first have to know the working height of the deck. How much room do you have to work with? Measure from the concrete slab up to the bottom of the door sill. Let us know the height, and we can suggest suitable joists to use. From there, it's just a matter of planning out the deck, including how you'll mount the joists and their positioning. Typically, joists are mounted every 450mm across the span. The joist size you can use directly relates to the amount of room under your decking boards.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell ,

the height of floor is 140mm.

Thanks 

Gupta 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GuptaG,

Here's a rendering I've put together of what the frame could look like using 90 x 45mm H3-treated timber. If you are wondering what those double joists are on the right and left side, they're for nailing off your picture frame and the ends of the decking boards. Without them, you'll have nothing under the ends of the decking boards as the picture frame board occupies the top of the frame joist. For the joists, you'll need at least nine lengths of 2400mm and a couple of longer lengths like 3000mm and 3600mm. I'd recommend you have the timber delivered and cut to the length on site. Also, check with the team in-store as to the most effective way to purchase the decking. You can either get random lengths to do a staggered pattern or set lengths, though there will be considerable wastage.

So far, you have 22mm composite decking, a 90mm joist, and 28mm of space left underneath. That's a perfect height to fit Builders Edge 25-40mm Minifoot Pedestal Feet. These are perfect for building over a concrete slab as they easily adjust to accommodate any slope over its width. These feet will need to support the frame and joists at 1000mm intervals.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you for the beautiful picture frame. I would like to go for a composite deck. Could you please let me know how many 5.6m boards I need for my project? Also, for the wall-to-timber connection, what gap size would you recommend?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @GuptaG 

I've been trying to add your decking dimensions to get the area of your deck, but it does not seem to be adding up. Can you please double check and tell me what is the overall width and depth of the deck? Are the deck extension measurements to the left and right of the center correct?

Once you've posted your measurements, we'll be able to approximately tell you how much decking panel you'll need to cover your deck.

Eric

Hello  Eric,

Good morning, attached is image for total dimensions and total squares.

Main Area 204 CM X 156 Cm 

Left Side : 60 CM X 95 CM 

Right Side : 200CM X 49 Cm

IMG_4762.jpeg

Can you also list all other accessories needed to complete this project end to end? If possible, include item codes for ordering, such as screws, concrete Dyma bolts, etc.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @GuptaG 

Thank you for posting the measurements of your deck. If the total area is 4.73m2 and you are using Ekodeck with a width of 137mm. Your next step is to divide the area with the width of the decking panel. This will give you a total of 34.52 linear meters. Since you are using 5.4m boards you divide the linear meters by the board length giving you 6.39 board lengths. I propose rounding it off to seven just to be safe. 

It's great that you've started drawing your plans. You are making good progress; I propose finishing your drawing so that you will have the position of your decking frame joists. The accessories and fittings you'll be using depends on the type and size of the timber you'll be using. 

I suggest having a look at this featured project - Low-level composite deck over concrete and soil by @oninpena. It's a very good example of mixed footings and frame assembly.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects