Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

MarkL
Finding My Feet

How to build a low-level deck?

I want to build a low Deck across my garden, will be on the substrate, can I lay straight on? Do I need to concrete posts in for framing or will it be sufficient to build a good framework lying on top of the existing stone chip base?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

Hi @MarkL,

Great to see you join in the discussion on the Bunnings Workshop community. We look forward to seeing your decking project come to life.

We have a comprehensive guide How to build a low-level deck by experienced member @Adam_W. Given low-level decks have a number of challenges to overcome if you want to ensure longevity, we would encourage you to have a careful read and also check out some other popular low-level decking projects from Workshop members for advice and inspiration.  

Do you have a plan for the deck as yet that you could share? Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist once you have a plan.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MarkL,

It's always best to elevate a deck as it allows airflow under it and helps inhibit the early onset of decay. You could place your frame directly on the ground, but I would expect to see a limited lifespan to the deck.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

MarkL
Finding My Feet

YES, I do need to draw it out, it will be done in two stages with the smallest part first. I'll get it drawn up and we can go from there. I'm in no rush! Thanks so far.

Cheers, I have been looking into it and I do think the low level supports are the way to go, we want to use a composite product on the top, and there will be a Pergola too! So theres a wee bit to ponder... 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MarkL 

Should you run across any questions while you are pondering, please don't hesitate to post them. 

We'll be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects