Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a screen for rubbish bins?

House
Finding My Feet

How to build a screen for rubbish bins?

Hello

I am seeking your assistance please.

I have my two bins at my front door no other place to put them!
I would like to make a screen L shape with Lockable wheels attached to the screen.

I would like to use the screening panels available at Bunnings with hinges attached in order to open the front panel to wheel out the bins.

I don’t want to drill any holes in the wall.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance

MeasurmentsMeasurmentsFront doorFront doorArea wanting screenArea wanting screenIMG_0485.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Screening Rubish Bins

Hi @House,

Given those screening panels are flexible, in order to stand them upright and create your hinged screen, you'd need to create a standalone timber frame or your desired size to fix them onto. An alternative would be to use solid screens such as the SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panels. Even then, your structure would be much more stable if you fixed it to the wall. Without a solid mounting point, it has the potential to tip over. If not the wall, would fixing to the concrete be an option?

A solid L structure would have the ability to stand upright by itself, but the minute you open the door, it loses the rigidity and will simply topple over if not fixed to at least one mounting point.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a screen for rubbish bins?

Hi @House,

An alternative might be to consider building a bin stable. The Bunnings team has shared step-by-step instructions on the Bunnings website.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects