Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a small deck using modular decking kit and adjustable supports?

martyjames
Getting Established

How to build a small deck using modular decking kit and adjustable supports?

After further research and helpful input from you guys i am now planning to build an approximately 3m x 3m deck (no pergola) over a slightly sloping concrete slab in my backyard (pic attached).

I am a very basic diyer so want simple and easy to understand but want the deck structurally sound and long lasting.

I found Bunnings sell Modular Decking Base Frame kits like https://www.bunnings.com.au/1144-x-1144mm-modular-decking-70-x-45mm-ekodeck-base-frame-flat-packed_p... etc

I am thinking to use 9 of these kits 1144mm x 1144mm to get a base roughly 3.5m square.

I will use the Modular decking support feet to level the frame : https://www.bunnings.com.au/50mm-modular-decking-adjustable-support-foot_p8451224

I watcheds this video from Bunnings on how to put it all together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tjQdmsmkP8

Over the to of the frame i will install composite decking

Quesions

1.The video does NOT show the frame being attached to the ground at all - does it need to be? If so how would i attached it to the concrete slab? ( i can easly attach to the low wall at back of yard - is that ok?)

2.Can you send me a link to the correct "battern" screws refered to in video

3. How would i work out which length of Modular decking support feet to buy? They come in 50/100/150mm lengths from your website

4. Is the Modular Decking Base Frame kit timber 100 percent weather proof and does not require any finish?

5. I am thinking i need a very long spirit level to ensure frame is level - can you please provide a link to suitable level

6. Can you send me a link for suitabe screws to screw the frames together if different from "battern" screws in no.2 above

Is there anything else i need to take into account or buy?

Thanks in advance

Martin

IMG_20240419_110514335 (2).jpg

Re: Building Small Deck - Take 2!! - Using Modular decking kit and Adjustable Supports??

Another question. I am installing the decking boards (using the clips). I read on a couple of forums NOT to fully tighten the clips so that when you slide the boards into the clips they can align better - is this correct?

thanks again

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building Small Deck - Take 2!! - Using Modular decking kit and Adjustable Supports??

Hi @martyjames 

If you are referring to the Quickfix For Ekodeck 6mm 100Lm Kit - Timber Joists, I don't recommend overtightening it when you are installing it, if too much force is applied the clip goes deep into the timber making it necessary for you to loosen it so that the next panel can be put in. I recommend installing it slightly firm but not overly tight so that you can slide the next panel in.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
martyjames
Getting Established

Thanks for all the help guys. The deck is progressing well - pic attached. All nice and level and good consistent spacing of boards etc.

Question;

I am going to build a single step at the front of the deck so people can comfortably step up onto the deck. The deck is 2650 wide and 300mm high at right front side (see pic attached) and 250mm high at left front side (sloping slab).

I have part of the modular decking base frame kit (https://www.bunnings.com.au/1144-x-1144mm-modular-decking-70-x-45mm-ekodeck-base-frame-flat-packed_p...) that i can use to make the step frame  and use the adjustabel support feet (https://www.bunnings.com.au/50mm-modular-decking-adjustable-support-foot_p8451224) to get the step level. 

Can you give me some ideas on a possible size of the finished step - width? and height of the step given the height of the deck i outlined above please (i wont hold you to any suggestions!! just want rough idea's)

Thanks again!IMG_20240511_110124210.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @martyjames,

Your deck looks like fantastic and it's so close to finished, I'm very excited to see it when it's fully completed.

Were you planning on having the step on the right side of the deck where it is highest, or in the middle where the frame is located in your photo?

The size of the step really can be anything wide enough for you to comfortably stand on. I'd suggest at absolute minimum it should be 600mm wide. 

With the height of the step, I would suggest that you halve the height of the step-up to the deck in whichever location you choose. For example, if you place it to the far-right side of the deck where you've said it was 300mm off the ground, you should make the top of the decking boards 150mm down from the top.

Hopefully this helps to clarify your thoughts, but I'm more than happy to offer assistance if you have any other questions.

Jacob

martyjames
Getting Established

Thanks again Jacob

I am thinking of installing these deck lights https://www.bunnings.com.au/brilliant-lighting-warm-white-diy-led-lennox-deck-light-add-on-kit-4-pac... possibly either side of the step (which i am building currently) on the front "fascia" board (not on the decking boards). Is it a matter of using the correct size hole saw to drill the hole to accom,odate the lights? 

Thanks again

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @martyjames 

That's absolutely correct, all you need is a hole saw with the correct size so that the light fittings will simply slip in. My best suggestion is to match the LED light to the hole saw to make sure that you have the right size. 

However, I don't think the Lennox kit was made to be installed horizontally, I propose having a look at the Holman 30mm RGB Colour Deck Light - 6 Pack. These have side clips that will keep the light anchored to the side of the panel and prevent them from falling out. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects