Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a stone wall around an inflatable spa?

Amanda1974
Finding My Feet

How to build a stone wall around an inflatable spa?

Hi all, 

I want to build something like this for around my inflatable spa.

I have a very small area and need it to be as easy as possible.

all suggestions welcomed.

6C96F2E5-74D4-4682-B4EC-72F4C4C66C9B.png

Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: want to build a stone wall around an inflatable spa

Hello @Amanda1974

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a stone wall for your spa.

Since we want the surround to be safe and not topple over, I recommend building a timber frame around your spa with marine plywood going over the frame. You can then attach the pavers to that frame so that there is no risk of the spa walls falling down. I suggest using Brighton Masonry 200 x 100 x 50mm Sand Mypave Paver. Simply join them together and to the wall frame by using Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive.

Another option is to use Decor8 Tiles 300 x 300 x 10mm Beige Java Marble Tile Mosaic. But this time you'll need to use Dunlop 1L Multipurpose Water Based Primer to prepare the surface of the marine plywood. I then suggest using Davco 20kg SMP Evo Tile Adhesive to attach the Marble Mosaic to the spa frame walls. Please keep in mind that you'll need to grout the outside so that you'll not see the marine ply frame underneath.

Let me call on our experienced members @lifestylebymari, @craftyhopper and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: How to build a stone wall around an inflatable spa?

Hi @Amanda1974 , sounds like a great project! Nice warm spa for cool winter relaxation :smile:
@EricL is spot-on with all suggestions. Needs to be sturdy and any material must be fully-weatherproof or preferably marine grade. This includes any screws or bolts. Stainless steel will likley be best for them.
Just one caution that's often forgotten about with inflatable type pools and spas. If the water is deeper than around 300mm then it is subject to the same rules as a swimming pool and needs to be appropriately fenced.

Re: want to build a stone wall around an inflatable spa

Thank you Eric!  I love your idea...

Are you able to share any info or pages that explain how to build a timber frame around the spa?

I am very new to all this :smile: 

Thank you Adam :smile: Great input - appreciate it

Hi @Amanda1974,

Creating a timber frame out of 90 x 35mm h3 treated Pine should be a reasonably straightforward task. I'd recommend cladding it with cement sheeting rather than a marine ply. Marine ply is water-resistant but can degrade if it doesn't dry out again. I'd imagine there will be a fair bit of water getting trapped in this structure, so I believe a cement-based product would be preferable. Another alternative would be to create the structure out of AAC blocks.

I've created a rendering below of a timber structure you could build.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Spa2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects