Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a temporary snake and toad barrier?

Steve5
Having an Impact

How to build a temporary snake and toad barrier?

We’re building a shed next to an existing colorbond fence.  We plan to remove 20m of the fence and then add fencing on each side of the shed connecting to the existing colorbond fence.  The existing colorbond fence has a buried sleeper on the bottom to keep snakes and toads out so the enclosure is safe for our dogs.

We will be moving a lot of fill in to build up the level inside the fence to the height of the shed slab so the idea is to add a temporary snake/toad barrier in the middle of the existing enclosure.  The barrier will need to be about 30m long.

I’ve built snake/toad fences in the past using shade cloth draped over chicken wire mesh with the bottom side buried in the ground.  But, I’m looking for an easier way to build a temporary barrier to keep snakes and toads out while we do earthworks and build new fencing.

Thanks!Shed Snake Barrier 15Sept2023.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a temporary snake and toad barrier?

Hello @Steve5 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a temporary snake and toad barrier. One quick way to set up a barrier is to use Longyard 180cm 1.7kg/m Black Steel Fence Post - 10 Pack. I recommend using Jack 60cm Steel Post Driver Fencing Accessory to sink the post into the ground. I propose using Saxon 90cm x 10m Chicken Wire Netting in combination with Coolaroo 1.83m Wide 70% UV Light duty Shade Cloth per Metre - Green

You can secure the chicken wire and Coolaroo shade cloth with Zip Ties. However, it will still be necessary to secure the bottom of the fence by putting it under the soil to prevent anything from crawling through.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @Dave-1, @JoeAzza, @TedBear and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Steve5 

I was just thinking about your question, I havnt had a lot of experice with having to keep out toads and snake  but think I get the idea.

Could you use some corrorgated sheeting suntuf 860 by 3m clear corrugated polycarbonate roofing sheet and lay it horizontal across the yard so it overlaps with the previous one. Supported in the ground with a couple of short star posts saxon 50cm black steel fence post 

you could even scratch out a tiny chanel in the ground to rest the sheet in. Or go metal roofing instead. Potentially reuse the corrougated sheeting for another project :smile:

So my way of thinking going of your description of the chicken wire and suncloth is for a solid barrier with wavyness, if the two posts either side of the sheet are only half as high as the sheet then it could be bent over fairly easily?

Will keep think about the problem :smile:

Dave

Steve5
Having an Impact

Hi @Dave-1, Interesting idea to use metal or poly sheeting.

Since just need temporary barrier for 3-4 weeks, I've come up with a new design to minimize materials.

I  plan to put row of hardwood stakes with wire strung across the top that I can drape shade cloth over.

The bottom side will lay flat then stapled to 100mm strips of plywood that I'll hammer into a slot I cut in the ground.

In the past I used an old axe to create the slot in the ground but wondering if I can use old jigsaw or circular saw that I don't mind getting dirty.

The ends will be mated to a colorbond fence post where I'll brad nail a piece of thin pine trim to a 70x35 board.

The pine trim will fit into the indention on the colorbond fence post where the 2 halves are joined.

The top of the 70x35 will be zip tied to the top of the colorbond fence post.

A horizontal board will be nailed to the bottom of the 70x35 and a wood stake will be used to push it against the bottom of the colorbond fence.

Probably put a cinder block next to the fence on top of the shade cloth to seal the corners.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Hi @Steve5 

That sounds a LOT easier and cheaper then my option! :smile: How about instead of cutting into the dirt use some old timber lengths to hold that shade cloth down? I like the idea of a string wire as that would really make life easy and temporary. 

Dave

Steve5
Having an Impact

I thought about using some cement pavers I have from old patio but snakes could probably wiggle underneath since ground isn't completely flat.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5 

Unfortunately, the bottom of your fence has to be secure otherwise snakes will simply find a way in. Your suggestion of using a jigsaw to create the slot sounds promising. You'll need to keep an eye on it to make sure that the mud does not get into the mechanism of the jigsaw.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Steve5
Having an Impact

Hi Eric,

I ended up just using a shovel to cut an angular slot, then hammering in the 7mm wide plywood slats with shade cloth wrapped around them. 

Put some 400x400 concrete pavers on them to keep bottom in place.  Here's some photos of the finished project.

20231122_133950.jpg20231122_133916.jpg20231126_080846.jpg20231126_080949.jpg20231126_080839.jpg20231124_131407.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @Steve5 

Nice going :smile: Never having to worry about snakes wanting to use my backtyard as a freeway I was wondering what do you look for to see if they have made their way through your toll fence? :smile: (As in scat or pattens in the dirt or an actual sighting)

Dave

Steve5
Having an Impact

Hi Dave,

It's never good enough that you don't have to worry about snakes, it's amazing where they can go..   

I inspect the buried section of the temporary fence regularly and haven't seen evidence of penetration.  

But their entry will probably be below a color bond fence gate. 

We have 200mm sleepers buried 100mm under the fence and removable sleepers with a concrete slot under the gates.   

I put weather stripping under the gates but snakes can still slip through. 

There's also a double gate and I haven't gotten around to putting in a vertical weather strip on it.

I only saw one snake in the colorbond fenced area long before put in the temporary fence and started changing the colorbond fence.

Fortunately, one of our older dogs found the snake and barked to alert me.

We used to see a lot of snakes including browns on the property but not many anymore since we added more dogs. 

I've heard they don't like dog pee.

Still seeing pythons but they're easy to grab by the tail and drop over the fence.

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects