Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber floor frame?

Neen
Growing in Experience

How to build a timber floor frame?

Can anyone assist me with how much timber is required to build a 8m W x 5m D floor frame to accommodate timber floorboards. I would like to put a timber floor (not decking) and enclose my patio.as a sunroom. 

I currently have paving which I will remove prior.
Just not sure how much and what length timber to use for floor framing eg bearers & joists 
Am I better using stumps or stirrups. 
What clearance is required for underneath the floor for ventilation as not to cause dampness .

cheers 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber floor frame

Hi @Neen,

What type of timber flooring were you considering? 

Typically a joist would be run every 600mm across the span. So if you were to use 5000mm lengths, then you'd need 13 across the 8000mm. Regarding bearers, that would depend on the size of the joists you use and the height within which you have to build the substructure.

Clearances really come down to the exposure to elements. If the flooring is exposed to no moisture, then little to no clearance is required, but if it's exposed to the elements, then you might need a significant amount. It's normally best to provide as much clearance as possible within the space you have to build.

Stumps and stirrups perform the same role. It's really personal choice, but stirrups could be the more user-friendly option.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects