Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber pool pump cover?

Phil4
Just Starting Out

How to build a timber pool pump cover?

Hi. I am looking to build a timber pool pump cover and need advice re the selection of timber for the frame and cladding bearing in mind that I want to keep it as light as possible so it can easily be removed I.e. what’s the minimum size frame timber I could use? Should I reinforce the joins with angle brackets? What are the options for the cladding/slatting and lid? The design would not have a bottom rear plate and be flush with the ground so it could be moved past/over the pump and butt up against a wall.  Approx size is 1500(W) 1200(H) 900(D).

Thanks

Phil4 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a timber pool pump cover?

Hello @Phil4

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to build a pool pump cover.

It's great that you've decided to build a cover for your pool pump. I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to make a wooden pool pump cover? There are suggestions on which type of timber to use such as the SpecRite 1800 x 600mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Garden Fence Panel. You could actually build the cover just by using a few of these panels. I recommend using the Carinya 100 x 100 x 40 x 6mm Galvanised Heavy Duty Angle Bracket to keep the panels together.

However, if you wish to build a timber frame to make it more robust, I suggest using Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 70 x 35mm. Please make sure to use Zenith 10 - 8 x 75mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws - 50 Pack. It sounds like a great project, any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Phil4
Just Starting Out

Re: How to build a timber pool pump cover?

Thanks for the advice Eric. I’ll check out the other posts but think I’ll go with the 70x35 timber frame. 

Phil4

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects