Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber screen?

Click1959
Finding My Feet

How to build a timber screen?

Hi

I'm looking to install a timber screen using Jack (Whites)screen up and 90x19 merbau. This would be horizontally installed between the two pergola posts shown in the photo at the end of the deck I have built. The distance between the inside of the posts is 3665mm and so my question is, could I build my screen that wide with supporting batterns behind the merbau slats or would it be better to add another 65x65 post in the middle? I would rather one complete screen but if I added a centre post I could minimise waste as this would allow me to use 1.8m lenghts of merbau.

What are your thoughts?

20231028_124634.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a timber screen?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Click1959. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing screening.

You could build your screen that wide, provided there are adequate battens to support the timber. Without them, it will be unstable, and the timber will sag in the middle. There are the Jack 19 x 1970mm Screen Up Brace / Cover Strips designed for this purpose. However, adding a joiner post in the middle would not only prevent the sagging but also add rigidity to the screen. Since the distance is quite significant, I'd suggest the central joining post.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell

Do you think it would still be worth using one battern on each of the screens or the 1.8m screens will be ok without  them?

Personally, I would add a batten for each of the 1.8m screens @Click1959. Even over 1.8m, there is a chance of sagging, so better safe than sorry.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yep, thought that might be the go. Thanks again Mitchell, much appreciated.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects