Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an outdoor table using treated Pine?

Madison-Flanaga
Just Starting Out

How to build an outdoor table using treated Pine?

HI There, We are constructing an outdoor table using 100x100 H4 treated pine for the base & was going to use the treated pine sleeper type for the top.. just wondering the best way to go about sanding these and being able to use a stain is this ok to use as an outdoor dining table being treated pine?? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Treated Pine

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Madison-Flanaga. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about using treated Pine for furniture.

Those posts and sleepers are typically used for retaining walls and landscaping purposes, and if they have an arsenic-based treatment (CCA) it makes them unsuitable for constructing an outdoor table. In some locations, you'll find Sienna MicroPro-treated sleepers which could be used for a table as their treatment doesn't contain arsenic. For the legs, you might need to use hardwood or LOSP posts. You'll need to remove the primer on the LOSP-treated post before staining.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, is there a stain or a coating we could use over the legs? 

I cannot see any sleepers on the link? says 0 items available. So nothing that is labelled 'treated pine' on the Bunnings website is going to be suitable? 

Hello @Madison-Flanaga, 

Can you please tell me what is the closest store to your location? I'll try and track down the proper link for you. In regards to the stain for the legs, you can pretty much use any stain or sealer you want to use. Just keep in mind that the suggested legs which are the LOSP posts need to be sanded down if they are painted with primer.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects