Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an undercover catio?

veronicasaunder
Just Starting Out

How to build an undercover catio?

I need to build a Catio under my covered patio.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to build an under cover catio

Hi @veronicasaunder 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about building an under cover catio.

Before I offer any recommendation, would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the patio? This will give our members a chance to assess the area. We can then offer recommendations on how to build the catio in your patio.

Were you thinking a full cage system or a series of tunnels for them to run around in? 

I also recommend having a look at these discussions: 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how to build an under cover catio

Please let me know if you need a hand uploading those photos @veronicasaunder.

I'm a fan of the great work by @Shannon with this Indoor to outdoor cat tower. I'm sure you'll find it inspiring.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing your project come together.

Jason

veronicasaunder
Just Starting Out

Timber Posts too close to the Ground

I'm planning to build a Catio under my Pergola BUT I  need to fix a few problems 1st.

The main problem is my Posts holding up my Pergola, the builder has them too low to the ground being concrete.

What concerns me is the rain, the posts get soaking wet and I want to paint or stain them.  I don't know what to do, even where to start. 

Can someone please help me... I'm a pensioner, so cannot afford to get a Tradie in so please put that in mind. I will attach some photos separately because last time I tried I lost everything so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong 🤔

20230609_095326A.jpg20230609_095313B.jpg

Re: Timber Posts too close to the Ground

Hello @veronicasaunder 

I suggest sending the pictures by email to this address: workshop@bunnings.com.au and we will post the photos for you. Our members will then be able to assess the condition of your pergolas post. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

We look forward to seeing your photos.

Eric

Re: Timber Posts too close to the Ground

Hello @veronicasaunder 

My apologies for the late reply, if you are planning on painting them, I suggest using an exterior rated paint such as Dulux Weathersheild, Taubmans Sunproof or British Paints 4 seasons. The same rule applies when choosing oil and stains, it's important that the product you choose is rated for outdoor use.

Unfortunately, the post is bolted in place and the only way to paint the bottom is to have it disassembled which will be a challenging task. But you shouldn't worry about your timber posts. The minimum protection for this type of timber is H3 as it is being used in an outdoor structure. However, adding an extra coat of protection wouldn't hurt.

A good place to start would be to imagine how big do you want your catio to be. Will it be linked to your house, or do you want a door on it? I propose grabbing pen and paper and drawing up a simple sketch of how you want the catio to look like. From there we will be able to suggest materials and how you can possibly have it built.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of a simple cat enclosure.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

catio.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects