Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build deck ledgers against double brick boundary wall?

Avago
Just Starting Out

How to build deck ledgers against double brick boundary wall?

I have two adjacent but unattached brick walls 90 degrees to one another.

One is a solid double-brick retaining wall, the other a double-brick extruded brick boundary wall.

I wish to construct a deck/platform, landing and stairs, with the deck ~ 1.2 x 2.4 m in area, placed in the corner of the two walls ~ 1.6 m high. This will be for access down from the top of the retaining wall.

The shorter span is planned to be against the extruded brick boundary wall.

My question is whether I can ledger directly to both walls thus only having to use one footing and post?

I was considering using chemset fastening due to leftovers from a previous project.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck ledgers against double brick boundary wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Avago. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing an elevated deck.

Is the platform to be built at the 1.6m height of the walls or on the ground in the corner?

What you've described sounds entirely possible. However, if it is an elevated deck, it would be best to discuss your fixing technical with an engineer. Unfortunately, even with images, it wouldn't be possible for us to suggest whether your method would be suitable; there are just too many variables in play. 

If this were a low-level deck, I'd be comfortable with this approach. For an elevated platform, there is a significant height and risk of injury if something were to fail, so I recommend enlisting the services of a professional to look over your plans.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell. the deck is elevated as you describe and is at least 1.6 m above ground level.

I guess, what I was after was whether there was any difference in thought between ledgering to brick veneer, (a definite no no), and a double brick wall.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Typically, brick veneer and brick walls, whether they are double-brick or not, are not designed to carry lateral loads @Avago. They are only designed to support the vertical load from their weight.

I'd suggest it would be best to have posts supporting the weight of the deck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects