Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build low-level deck under verandah?

derwin
Just Starting Out

How to build low-level deck under verandah?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building a low level 4000mm x 7750mm deck that will run along the house under cover of a verandah. The existing area is a combination of grass and uneven concrete. 

My questions:

I found a product called Tuffblock, however the pictures I've seen show tuffblocks for every joist. Do i need this many or can i use them in place of concrete and post holders that are placed only on the bearers? How far apart can they be placed?

Should I run he bearers along the 4000mm or the 7750mm length?

As it's a low level deck (max height 220mm) should i consider using H4 bearers and joists? Or can i use bitumen paint or some other form of water proofing sealant? Or will H3 be fine?

Ideally I'd also like to remove the brown concrete banister and have decking on the stairs for better flow. How do you suggest I attach merbau to the concrete stairs and create an extra step in front of the existing banister?

Looking forward to any help!

Thank you.existing space.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low level deck under verandah

Hello @derwin 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a deck.

TuffBlocks are an extremely popular alternative to digging holes, mixing concrete and waiting for it to set. Its placement is dependent on your deck framing plans. I also propose looking at the Builders Edge pedestal Feet. It is much more versatile than the TuffBlock and is height adjustable.

Since the deck frame is not touching the ground using H3 for framing should be sufficient. Using bitumen paint and joist tape will provide excellent protection for your deck frame. At this point in time, I suggest thinking about how you want to build your frame. traditional or single level. I suggest looking at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc.

I propose drawing your deck frame plan on paper. This will give you a much better perspective on the direction of the framing as it will also affect the direction of the decking panels. Plus, it will give you an idea of how much material you'll be needing including the position of the footings.

In regards to the banister and the raised concrete area, I propose removing the entire structure and turning it into a miniature deck with steps linked to your main deck.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular deck projects

I also suggest having a look at the Bunnings Deck Building guide:

Here are some Low-level deck discussions:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects