Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build low-level decking support to the timber frame?

rajavamsi
Growing in Experience

How to build low-level decking support to the timber frame?

Hi there

I have started to do a low level deck in my alfresco extending into garden area. I have started this with inspiration from completed projects by the community. Thank you

i have got a problem and need some advise

problem - to support the timber frame on garden

IMG_2555.jpeg

I have used ready to mix concrete to make a slab and was hoping to put in a pedestal feet and screw it up with dynabolt

unfortunately, when I drilled the concrete cracked. Picture attached

any suggestion to repair this or alternatively other options that I can use ?

IMG_2556.jpeg

IMG_2557.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: low level decking support to the timber frame

Hi @rajavamsi,

Those pedestal feet can be used as a floating system, where you don't need to attach them to the footer; they just sit on top. Since your joists are sufficiently fixed to the concrete slab with angle brackets, I don't see the need to bolt the feet down to the footer, as the weight of the deck will hold them in place. 

How far do the joists extend past the concrete slab? If you are concerned about twisting, you can add noggins between the joists to connect them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rajavamsi
Growing in Experience

Thank you. It is relief for me that I do not need to repair concrete.

the joist extends the concrete by 80 cm in length. All the pedestal feet are placed at roughly 50 cm away from concrete. Would this be ok ?

That will be fine, @rajavamsi.

Mitchell

rajavamsi
Growing in Experience

Thank you folks. I am very close to finishing my project. Photo attached. Thank you.

I am looking to oil the deck now and am looking to retain natural finish. Any recommendations as to which oil is better ?

i al also hearing some squeaky noise when I walk. It is not much…. the challenge iis that it is not consistent at a particular point….is it a concern or something that is normal  for new decks . Thoughts ?

thank you.

IMG_0273.jpeg

Congratulations @rajavamsi! What a sensational deck you've created! You must be so very pleased with the results.

I recommend using a natural oil like Cabot's Natural Decking Oil. It is just a clear oil without a heavy colourant. Do a small test section in an inconspicuous area to ensure you're happy with the product before committing to the whole deck.

Squeaking is pretty normal for a new deck. Wait until you've got the oil on and it's nourished, then see if the issue persists.

Mitchell

rajavamsi
Growing in Experience

Thank you @MitchellMc 

I have a follow up clarification. When i look at the website for the decking oils, it does state usage of Timber prep and Deck clean before applying the oil. 

In my scenario, I have used Spec rite merbau timber from Bunnings which is pre-oiled. and I have also left the decking weathered for last 4-6 weeks. The clarification I am looking for - Do i have to still use Timber prep and Deck clean before I apply the oil ?

appreciate any guidance.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build low-level decking support to the timber frame?

Hello @rajavamsi,

Let me also congratulate you on a job well done - your deck looks terrific! Trust you've been enjoying it. 

Apologies for the slow reply. @MitchellMc is currently away on his year-end break, but our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to answer your question on oiling your deck. 

In case you haven't seen them already, I also recommend checking out our Best Advice article What decking oil do you recommend? and the Bunnings guide How to oil a new deck for related advice. 

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rajavamsi 

My compliments on a fantastic well assembled deck. In the 4-6 weeks that you've been waiting for the deck to season, smoke, moisture and other contaminants have settled on the surface of your decking panels. It might not be visible, but it is there and oiling over it will produce uneven results. I suggest using Cabot's 1L Deck Clean to clean and prepare the surface for oiling. The cleaning product not only removes grease and contaminants on the surface of the decking panel it also removes excess tannin that may still be present. 

By using the deck clean product, it will refresh the surface of the decking panel and provide an ideal surface to oil.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to clean a deck.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when cleaning your deck. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects