Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build verandah post footings?

Russ42
Building a Reputation

How to build verandah post footings?

I am replacing steel posts, which hold up first floor verandahs, with Merbau posts. The last one was buried 60cm, which I have excavated, but now I need to build a pier to bring the timber post above ground level. Previously I have made a concrete pier but this one is deeper so I am thinking of build it out of bricks. I am uncertain how I can fix the stirrup to the top of the pier. I am thinking of putting a concrete pad on the top of the bricks and burying the bolts ( 130 mm gal ) into this concrete with the thread bolted down from the stirrup. What are your thoughts on this? If I build the pier entirely out of bricks, how would I fix the stirrup to the brick pier. Would dynabolts hold in the bricks or would the bricks break (I guess I would need to fill the holes in the bricks with concrete too).

IMG_3263[1].JPGIMG_3261[1].JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build verandah post footings?

Hello @Russ42 

In the interest of safety, I recommend holding off any further excavation. I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder as this type of repair needs to be signed off. Building a pier has to be built in a very specific shape and size so that it can withstand the weight of the veranda. The veranda itself must be supported by weight bearing scaffolding before the post is removed for repairs. Building a non-compliant pier could result in fines from your local council, structural damage and injury. 

From a building point of view, it would be better to use concrete rather than bricks. It's possible to position the mounting bolts in the soft concrete while its curing. This means that no stress is applied to it, not until the post is mounted to the bolts. There are quite a few options available and its best to discuss this with your builder.    

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Russ42 , I agree with @EricL , that \this is a structural alteration, however if you leave the existing steel post in position and refill the the hole back to it's original, you cover the post with merbau decking, this would make it look like a timber post, maybe @EricL would be able suggest on how to install it, this way there is no structural alteration.  

I found this on line, it may be helpful

https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/landscaping-and-hardscaping/how-to-re-cover-metal-columns-in-wood

Russ42
Building a Reputation

Thanks to both of you but my chance of getting  builder to even quote on such  small job is nil. I have tried before on a larger job. That one took 6 months to get  quote and then it was $16,000 for  job which I eventually got someone to partly do for $3,000 at which time he decided he had had enough and left me to finish it. I have nearly finished this job now and just made the pads out of concrete. I have a long held policy to over spec. my jobs so any inspection will easily pass. Also, the building industry has  history of shoddy, if not dangerous, outcomes. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Russ42 

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that you got the post footings sorted out. If you have any other projects on the go, please don't forget to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what you're working on.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects