Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose screws for treated Pine deck joists?

manimpl
Finding My Feet

How to choose screws for treated Pine deck joists?

Hi Team, 

What type and size of the screws can be used for 145x45mm treated pine deck joists?

Also, for alfresco extension, I am using 90x90 pole and 145x45mm treated pine, what type of screws or bolts can be used to attach the existing alfresco, which is also timber.

Regards,

Mani

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose screws for treated Pine deck joists?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @manimpl. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about decking screws.

If these screws for the 140mm joists are for butt joints, then these Buildex 16-8 x 125mm Climacoat Type 17 Timber Construction Screws would be suitable. These screws would also be suitable for the connection of the joist to 90mm timber. However, just to ensure you're aware, an alfresco post, unless engineered to suit the additional weight of the deck, wouldn't have a sizable enough footing to be retro-fitted as a deck support. If your intention is to use the alfresco post as a support for the deck, I'd encourage you to enlist the services of an engineer to check whether it is capable of the job.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to choose screws for treated Pine deck joists?

thank you Mitchell, the post is not supporting the deck.

Appreciated for your help.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects