Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean spots on my car?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to clean spots on my car?

Hello All

Bought ‘Garni’ high pressure cleaner from Bunnings with a car kit ( provided by Gerni ) and noticed some spots on Windows after cleaning. Used 20% of car wash liquid for creating the foam from the can provided by Gerni.

Should Compressed air be used for drying the water that prevents spots like this ? it takes time to clean the spots with a cloth.

nagumuthu_3-1666530761345.jpeg

nagumuthu_2-1666530750752.jpeg

Please share your thoughts for overcoming above spots in the body ‘ windows of the car.

Many thanks.

Muthu

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Re: Car Cleaning

nagumuthu_0-1666530892491.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to clean spots on my car?

Hi @nagumuthu,

I try to always use a chamois to ensure a good finish. Here's a good one - Oates Auto Care Enkafill Heavy Duty Chamois

Looking forward to hearing other tips from community members. Let me see if @Brad or @Remarka6le have any advice.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Jason. That's very helpful.

I'd agree with @Jason's suggestion, @nagumuthu. A chamois is about the best way to prevent water stains. 

In case you haven't used one before, the idea is that immediately after you wash the car, you dry it thoroughly with the chamois. They're highly absorptive, and the water is then easily rung out during use. 

I'm usually too lazy to chamois my car and tend to go for a quick drive around the block, which tends to prevent most of the water stains.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell.

I will get one ( Chamois ) from Bunnings for a try.

Best regards

M. Muthu

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nagumuthu

Just a friendly reminder to wash your car in a shaded area, this will prevent the water droplets from drying too quickly on your car. I recommend wiping down the car as soon as you finish washing it. This will prevent the water droplets from drying on the surface of the car.

Eric

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

@nagumuthu so two things, the spots are caused by rapid drying and mineral content in the water. You'll never get rid of the mineral content in the water without a filter, and whole house water filitration units are getting cheaper as the technology grows.

So that leaves the sun and your own drying, as @Jason & @MitchellMc have mentioned, grab yourself a high quality chamois and be methodical when drying, you don't want to miss any spots. And as @EricL mentioned, you'll also want to wash your car in the shade as a preference because the sun drys it quickly and unevenly, which helps these spots appear. 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects