Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean stains off mortar?

denisl
Finding My Feet

How to clean stains off mortar?

Hi there,

I wanted to ask what might be a good product / method for cleaning black stains from mortar. I am not sure what type of stain it is (probably mold). There are 3-4 places around the property where the staining occurs. The house is around 30 years old.

I was thinking something like this : https://www.bunnings.com.au/30-seconds-2l-one-step-spray-and-walk-away_p4460169 ? I had great luck getting mold stains off cladding with that.

Thank you in advance :smile:20240526_101515.jpg20240526_101523.jpg20240526_101529.jpg20240526_101548.jpg20240526_101733.jpg20240526_101949.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean stains off mortar

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @denisl. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing stains.

30 Seconds 2L One Step Spray And Walk Away sounds like a good starting point. If you haven't already done so, you might like to hit the area with a high-pressure washer before the spray to see if it lifts any of the stains. Spray and walk away can take some time to work and might require a second application. I'd recommend you give it a go and let us know if you don't see any effect.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks very much for a warm welcome and a prompt and detailed reply. I will give this a go some time this week and report back :smile:

Cheers,

Denis

Howdy howdy,

I used a gerni to pressure wash all the stains and I have to say about 90% of it came off, thank you very much for your suggestion!

As for the remainder of the stains (in some areas only), would you recommend I give the spray and walk away a shot?

After pics (I am purposely selecting the worst areas, most of it is 100% gone):

20240528_132703.jpg20240528_132716.jpg20240528_132806.jpg

Thank you again!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @denisl 

For tough imbedded stains a second application of 30 seconds is sometimes necessary. I would also suggest using an Oates Long Handle Grout Brush to help with the cleaning. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects