Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean these external walls?

bennnnn
Just Starting Out

How to clean these external walls?

Hello Bunnings Workshop!

I'm wanting to give our external walls a bit of a refresh. Is this considered a limestone wall?

I initially got at it with a pressure hose and while it did a good job at getting the darker stains out - it seemed to be removing a lot of the grit. I then tried some 30 seconds outdoor cleaner - sprayed and scrubbed which seemed to lighten the stains a little but they're still very present.

I'm wondering now if I'm able to just paint the walls? There is a low garden bed on the other side so I'm not sure whether that would the limit what I could do.

Thanks in advance :smile:

IMG_3515.jpegIMG_3516.jpegIMG_3517.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean these external walls

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bennnnn. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cleaning exterior surfaces.

That's likely a render over bricks or blocks.

Did you try the 30-seconds and a stiff bristle scrubbing brush? 30-seconds does a good job of breaking down buildup, but it often needs to be combined with agitation from a brush.

You could paint the wall, but that seals in the front face. You can have difficulties with the paint blowing off in the future due to moisture accessing the wall from the rear side. If you were to paint both sides and remove the soil in the garden and waterproof below it, then that would help prevent moisture from accessing the wall and compromising the paintwork.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell! That's really helpful.

Yes, I did give it all a good scrub after the 30 seconds - it did help to remove some, but it's still quite visible.

If I want to paint it - do I need to do any prep to the wall before painting? And also, do you have a recommendation for types of paint I can use on this surface?

Thanks again :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

By thoroughly cleaning the wall, you've done as much as possible to prepare @bennnnn. I recommend a premium exterior paint like Dulux Weathersheild. It's self-priming so you should be right to go straight over the surface as is.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects