Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close or fill the gap between brick wall and security light fixture?

foxhound
Growing in Experience

How to close or fill the gap between brick wall and security light fixture?

I have noticed a gap between my external wall and security light. I have tried to screw it more in but it doesn't reduce the gap due to grooves in the security light assembly. It exposes it to the risk of rain water going between the gap and eventually into the walls. Can see the back of internal gyprock wall through the wiring hole. 

Can you please advise how can this gap be sealed in a way that the light can be removed in future if need be. picture attached.

foxhound_0-1711128968573.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to close/fill the gap between brick wall and security light fixture

Hi @foxhound,

It sounds like the easiest solution would be to run a bead of exterior gap filler around the fitting that fills and seals the gap. This will prevent water from running down the wall and potentially entering the wall cavity.

Due to the angle of the image, I am unable to tell whether applying the filler is easy and safe. If applying this filler could pose a risk of falling from height, I highly suggest enlisting the services of a professional to complete the job.

If the light needs to be removed at a later date, the filler can be easily cut away.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects