Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close outdoor brick gap?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to close outdoor brick gap?

Hi All, I'm trying to repair and close some gaps between myhouse so that rat/mice or snake can't go into it..anyone know what is the black colour seal between the brick floor and the house bricks are (see below)

IMG20221114193340.jpg

Anyone know what is the black colour seal between my outdoor floor brick and the house brick?

IMG20221114193401.jpg

IMG20221114193359.jpg

Also noticed myoutdoor house Brickd  has gap see photo above. How do I seal it?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: outdoor brick gap

Hello @calccom21

Thank you for sharing your question about your outdoor brick gap. That brick gap is also known as a weep hole, they allow wind to circulate inside the wall cavity. The moving air removes evaporated water from the cavity to the outside preventing moisture damage. The foam item you are looking at is called an expansion joint filler. However, I suggest using a weep-hole vent cover to prevent vermin from entering your wall cavity. It's important to keep your weep hole open to prevent moisture from getting trapped inside your wall.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL . By the way, what is the purpose of expansion joint filler and if it necessary to replace? And do I remove the old one and put in the new one? Also how do I know which size it fit mine?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @calccom21

The purpose of the expansion joint filler is to cover the gap between concrete and brickwork. You'll often see it in houses and sidewalks when two large slabs of concrete are joined together. It prevents water and debris from entering the gap. Should there be any movement between the brick or concrete assembly the foam filler adjusts to the movement. 

If your joint filler is still in good condition there is no need to replace them. The only reason it would need replacing is if it has deteriorated or has totally disintegrated. To determine the size you need, I suggest cutting a bit of the filler and comparing its size to the ones available at the store. The size does not need to be big, your goal is to get one that will fit into the depth and width of the gap available.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects