Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to compact road base for a paving job?

eucalyptus
Finding My Feet

How to compact road base for a paving job?

Hi Workshop crew, 

We are planning a small paving job out the front of our house. We have done lots of research and know that levelling and compacting the road base layer is super important as it will be going on loose sandy soil. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to best compact the road base? I'm not having much luck finding one of the mechanical compactors that you see on all the "how to" videos. 

The father in law has suggested we buy a "tamper" like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-205mm-tamper_p0057896 but it looks like a huge amount of work with no guarantee that we would be able to get the road base level at the end. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to compact road base for a paving job?

Hello @eucalyptus

Thanks for sharing your question about compacting road base for paving. Is there a reason you can't use a vibrating plate compactor? I'm sorry, but the store does not carry petrol or pneumatic vertical mechanical tampers. In the Bunnings video guide -  How to prepare and lay a base for pavers they used a Large Compactor to flatten the road base. 

The key to effectively using the vibrating plate compactor is to not stay in one place too long. Staying in one place causes the compactor to create a depression in the road base which now has to be filled. Using a vibrating plate compactor is adequate to flatten the road base. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL!

Thanks so much for your advice, I have watched the "how to prepare and lay a base for pavers video" also but I haven't been able to find a plate compactor to hire or buy anywhere! I have tried the link to hire from Bunnings but it says that the "item is not available" at every store within 40km of me in Perth. Any thoughts as to why that might be? 

Thanks so much!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eucalyptus

Can you please tell me what is the closest store to your area? Let me try and track down a plate compactor for you.

Eric

@EricL Thanks so much! My closest store is probably Melville, WA :smile:

Hi @eucalyptus,

Thanks for bringing the "Item not available" discrepancy to our attention. I'll pass the details on to our team to look into. I've just called Bunnings Melville, and they do hire the plate compactor from that location. Please give one of our helpful team members a call on (08) 9329 1300 to book your preferred hire time.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects