Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect brass male connection to PVC solenoid?

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

How to connect brass male connection to PVC solenoid?

I'm having problems connecting Brass male connection to PVC solenoid. . Have tried all colour plumbers tape and won't work, still leaks. Photo attached. Getting very frustrated. Hope you can help. 

IMG20230720160311.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Retic

Hello @eriswa 

Thanks for sharing your question about your PVC and brass connection. I suggest removing all the tape currently applied to the PVC and use FIX-A-TAP Grey PTFE Uniseal High Density Thread Seal Tape instead. If you still have leaks, ideally, I recommend using LA-CO SLIC TITE Thread Sealant 236ml as this is made for PVC. 

However, as tomorrow is the weekend, I can only make enquiries for you on Monday. In the meantime, I suggest using Rust-Oleum 25.4mm x 3.04m Clear LeakSeal Self-Fusing Silicone Tape to wrap the gap between the PVC and brass fitting. Please note that in order to activate the sealing and binding mechanism of the tape it must be fully stretched and always under tension when being wrapped around the leaking area.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric

Actually, the male threaded connection is brass and it looks pitted, could this be the reason why the tape is not sealing?

Believe it or not I bought the same grey tape you suggested a couple of days ago form Bunnings of course but haven't used it yet. I'll give it a try and see how it goes and will let you know. I don't have much faith somehow. I normally fix these retic problems myself, but this has got me beat. 

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eriswa,

When you say the brass fitting looks pitted, is the male threaded section damaged? Given that you've tried multiple times to reseal the joint, perhaps you could consider removing the brass fitting and using Philmac fittings to join the solenoid directly to the ball valve.

Mitchell

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for your post, much appreciated.

Yes, the male brass threaded section connecting to the solenoid looks pitted. I was thinking of doing what you suggested but wanted to give it one more go with the grey tape as suggested by Eric. I haven't heard of Philmac Fittings but will do that if my last attempt fails with the grey tape.

Cheers

Eric

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

HI Eric, tried the grey tape and it didn't work. Attaching pic of what I'm up against with the brass thread. 

IMG20230731145451.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eriswa 

Thank you so much for posting that photo of the brass fitting. Having had a good look at it, I'm afraid it will need to be replaced. I don't think even the LA-CO SLIC TITE Thread Sealant will work on this as the brass threads are too deteriorated. My best suggestion is to bring the brass section to the plumbing isle in the store to make sure that you get the correct size and length.

Please note that it might be necessary to combine several pieces together in order to achieve the proper fit.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

eriswa
Cultivating a Following

HI Eric, I finally fixed the problem. Got a brass kit from irrigation shop in Greenwood. Had a lot of problems first sealing the brass connection to the solenoid. Had three goes with the white tape but wouldn't seal. Then remembered you suggesting the grey tape for the old brass connection

IMG20230812133741.jpg

IMG20230812133747.jpg

which didn't work. Tried it on the new one and bingo it worked first go. Attaching pics of the finished product. Cheers Eric 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Nice work, @eriswa! Thanks for updating us on your success!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects