Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover gap between sleeper and fence?

riziqbl
Building a Reputation

How to cover gap between sleeper and fence?

PXL_20230202_213210519.jpg

PXL_20230202_213156173.jpg

I'm looking at painting my fence soon to give it a fresh look. But before I do it, I want to close off the gap between the fence and the sleeper/retaining wall. 

Any ideas on the best way to do it ?

One idea I have is leave it as is, but later on build a garden bed along the fence that will cover this space.

But want to check if these is a cost effective way to cover this gap and paint over for a better look, and to stop the neighbors veggies growing through the gap.

TIA

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover gap between sleeper and fence?

Hello @riziqbl 

Thank you for sharing your question about covering the gap in your fence. I suggest using 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine 2.4m. Structural timber is treated for insect attack and is able to be subjected to moderate wetting in a well-ventilated area. I recommend using Zenith Galvanised Countersunk screws to anchor it to the fence and the sleeper in the ground.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how to cover the gap.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
riziqbl
Building a Reputation

That is the great solution Eric. Thanks for that, planning to try it out this weekend.

Just few question, can I cut the treated pine wood ? Will it have to be sealed after ? , And will I be able to get it cut at Bunnings?

Main reason is because I can easily fit a 1.8m length in my car, but I see Bunnings only has 2.4m & 3.6m. so planning to buy few 3.6m lengths and cut them in half to load it up in the car.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @riziqbl 

The answer to all your questions is yes. The treated wood can be cut at the store so that it fits into your car. I suggest using Tanalised 300g Clear Enseal Timber Treatment to seal off the cut sections of the wood. Please make sure to wear gloves, goggles and a 3M GP1 Painter's Carbon Valved Disposable Respirator when using the timber sealer. Make sure to take all necessary precautions and follow all the safety guidelines recommended by the manufacturer.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects