Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover old downpipe hole in gutter?

walkerc
Just Starting Out

How to cover old downpipe hole in gutter?

Hi,

Previous owner of property was downpipe happy and installed many in the same area. I'm looking at removing one of the downpipes (that directed water to a rainwater tank that's going) and wonder what product I could use to fill the hole in the gutter where the downpipe used to connect. The downpipe is a small rectangular type. Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover old downpipe hole in gutter?

Hello @walkerc 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your downpipe.

Generally speaking, the interior area of the gutter must be cleaned out first to make sure that there is no mould or moss attached to the surface of the gutter. I suggest using 30 Seconds 1L Mould Off to clean the downspout area and the surrounding surfaces near the downspout exit. Once everything has been cleaned I suggest getting Australian Handyman Supplies 600 x 300 x 0.55mm Galvabond Mini Sheet.

Measure the inside width of the gutter so you can recreate the shape when you put the stopper in. Once you have the desired shape do a test fit over the hole and make sure that it sits flatly on the surface of the gutter. I suggest using Selleys 290ml Grey Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant to glue the mini sheet to the surface of the gutter.

I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how to patch the hole in the gutter. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

walkerc gutter1.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects