Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create an outdoor patio on a budget?

missedout
Cultivating a Following

How to create an outdoor patio on a budget?

How do I get a very cheap outdoor patio?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I get a very cheap outdoor patio?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @missedout. We're delighted to have you join us, and thank you for your question about creating an outdoor patio on a budget.

Careful planning and material selection are key to achieving a very cheap outdoor patio. Once you've determined the patio's size and layout, consider budget-friendly materials such as gravel (especially bulk deliveries), concrete pavers or bricks. Opting for these cost-effective options and possibly ordering materials in bulk can save significantly on expenses. Another way to cut costs is by taking on the project yourself instead of hiring someone for the construction.

When it comes to furnishing your patio, look for inexpensive options or consider refurbishing existing pieces with a fresh coat of paint or new cushions. Scouring second-hand shops for old furniture that can be upcycled is an excellent way to furnish your outdoor area without overspending. Simplicity in design will also help you avoid unnecessary expenses.

Additionally, consider using screening solutions like the EDEN 1.8 x 3m Bamboo Slat Screen Fencing, which can redefine the look of your patio and create a more defined space. These budget-friendly options can be highly effective in transforming your outdoor area.

If you have any specific questions or need assistance with any aspect of your patio project, we're here to help. Feel free to reach out; we'll be more than happy to assist you in creating your new patio area.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
missedout
Cultivating a Following

Many thanks for your very helpful reply - I'll look into all these possibilities. 

missedout
Cultivating a Following

How do I get a very cheap outdoor patio?

I need a very cheap patio. It must have sides, for privacy from the neighbours - any ideas?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @missedout 

Would you be able to take a couple of photos of the area you want the patio to be?  @MitchellMc 's ideas are solid. Depending on your time frame and what base you want you could keep an eye out on free or give away sites online. I Stockpile resources a year in advance even up to two years sometimes (Note my pile of pavers waiting for being put into place ponce I get to that project) 

Things I do while waiting for the resources to come across my path are.

Make sure the ground is prepped, leveled if needed and drainage dug/sorted.

Any electrical work needs to be put in place before the pavers/floor/concrete goes in.

The type of floor for your area. I am actually a fan of reusing concrete of all things. In particular broken up pathways. Think of a pathway that has been broken into manageable chunks and then using them to crazy pave over the area you want the patio in with the concrete blocks resting on 8mm sized gravel. (Gravel also between the chunks)

Dave

It sounds like adding some budget-friendly screening to the sides would be a great way to create privacy @missedout. Something like the EDEN 1.8 x 3m Bamboo Slat Screen Fencing would suit. Or, were you perhaps thinking more of a gazebo?

Mitchell

missedout
Cultivating a Following

Many thanks for the very helpful replies. Roslyn McBride (missedout)

missedout
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to create an outdoor patio on a budget?

Do you think a 3-sided Coolaroo 5x4  x  5x4  Shade sail against the house, with a proper concrete bottom, would make a reasonable patio? Thank you for your help. Roslyn McBride (missing out?)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create an outdoor patio on a budget?

Hello @missedout 

It is possible to use Shade Sail and Shade Cloth at the same time. This will cover you from the sun and provide privacy at the same time. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how it can be put together. I suggest using timber posts and a few framing timbers to create your shaded area. If arranged properly with the ideal paint and accessories, you can create an ideal shaded patio area.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - Mediterranean-inspired outdoor renovation by @LaCasaDIY. This particular look was achieved some paint and few decorative pieces to give it that island look and feel.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

missedout
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the help - missedout.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects