Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create cover and privacy for the verandah?

Braddieis
Finding My Feet

How to create cover and privacy for the verandah?

Hi Guys,

im in the process of revamping my back verandah. It’s approximately 12 metres long. And maybe 3 metres wide. It has stairs one end, that lead down into an open garage. Above the stairs is the garage roof. I’d like to put something there too. The other end has a fixed handrail. Above that I’d like to possibly build a privacy screen. For the rest could you advise whether blinds or further privacy screens. Or any other ideas as to how I could create cover and privacy. The verandah gets the afternoon sun. The structure will be Matt black. The railing orange. 
Pics attached should give a good idea of the layout I have. 
Thankyou In Advance. 

Brad.

C181CFF4-A5CB-4722-A182-ECB005BA3802.jpeg

C66587BE-EFB2-4E7E-803C-B832E227B10A.jpeg

07538B6D-78BF-43D2-B314-4495E0165CDE.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to create cover and privacy for the verandah?

Hi @Braddieis,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have decided to join us and ask about revamping your verandah. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon but let me tag @DIY4Knuckleheds and @Renowayoflife for their suggestions. Be sure to check out these projects Mediterranean-inspired outdoor renovation and Verandah and low-level deck build on new house for some inspiration as well. 

I am looking forward to seeing this project's process, please keep us updated with photos.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Braddieis

Thank you for sharing your query about covering your verandah. It all depends on the look and amount of privacy you are after. I suggest having a look at this discussion - Sliding timber outdoor screens by @wooshka. This is an excellent use of standard timber and was built in a trellis-type fashion. If you like to use solid panels there is the option of using Matrix panels as a cover for your verandah. You can easily build a timber frame for it and attach the panel to turn it into a sliding cover. 

Then there are bistro blinds and of course outdoor roller blinds. This would be the perfect opportunity for you to turn your covered area into a place where you can relax. Take a moment to ponder and imagine what you would like to put into that space. 

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving and @Peggers for their recommendation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou Eric. I’m thinking I’ll go with outdoor roller blinds. Cheers for your input. 

many Thanks

Brad. 

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Progress on the deck looks fantastic. And orange and black sound like you have your design style nailed, and I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Are you looking for something temporary or permanent?

If you're thinking temporary, then blinds work a treat; we just installed some in my parent's house on their front deck, as they love to have their front door open for the evening breeze. Still, you can see in from the road, so we installed some simple outdoor roller blinds (from bunnings). They pull down on the inside of their lattice in the evenings - you don't even notice them during the day, and they're budget-friendly. On the back deck, we installed a retractable awning screen from Bunnings that they pull across one section to help block the sun at certain times of the day.

If you're thinking permanent, the lattice looks beautiful and is a great way to create privacy without taking away from the look of the verandah. But it is more expensive.

Hopefully that's helped, hope to see updates on your deck.

Merry Christmas

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects