Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create privacy on apartment balcony?

Kate58
Growing in Experience

How to create privacy on apartment balcony?

I have just moved into my first home and have absolutely no reno experience. I have a number of projects I would like to complete around the house, and want to do as much of it as I can myself. First project is finding a way to create some privacy on my balcony. I would like something that will still allow light in. I am pretty terrible with plants (a friend once gifted me a sight that labelled my backyard a ‘Plant Cemetery’) so anything plant related would have to be very low maintenance. Would love any and all ideas.

IMG_0172.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create privacy on apartment balcony?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kate58. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating privacy.

Congratulations on purchasing your first home! What a truly exciting time it must be for you.

Firstly, is there any limitation posed on you by the body corporate? Quite often, balcony screening options are governed and apply to the whole complex. It's important to bear this in mind before investing in the project, as there is no point screening off the whole balcony if that is not allowed. It's best to consult first to find out what options are available to you.

I presume the privacy you want to create would be from the apartments across the way? This would require something of a relatively tall height if you want to screen off the area entirely. If screening is an option, we have a wide range available to suit your style and taste. Something like this Protector Aluminium 900 x 1750mm Pearl White Easy Screen Welded Slat Panel would be fantastic above the rendered wall section to extend its height. You could then add some hardy clumping bamboo in slim trough planters in front of the glassed portion.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Kate58. Congratulations on moving into your first home - such an exciting time. I look forward to seeing the different projects you're planning on completing around your home. 

Great to see you've received advice and suggestions from Mitch about adding privacy to your balcony. I wanted to add that the following guides and articles might also come in handy as you decide on the best option: 

I'm excited to see how you end up transforming your balcony. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. We're here to assist. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kate58
Growing in Experience

Thank you @MitchellMc!

I am also considering (and will be asking body corporate) to install a screened enclosure to help expand the space. I have had a look on the Bunnings site but am not really sure what to be looking for or what approximate costs would be. The balcony wall and roof is concrete.

Kate 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Kate58 

Thats a nice large balcony you have, perfect for a summer evening and to hang out once you have some kind of privacy screen.

Welcome to Bunnings community page :smile: Its an interesting place to troll through, so many ideas and so little time is where I end up.

I see you have a privacy screen on the left of the photo, I was thinking something along the lines of something like that but on wheels and rigid (think a clothes horse for fashion shows) with the fake vine sheets that Bunnings have. lotusc ollection 2 x 1m dark ivy cloth artificial hedge trellis 

I know its plastic but eveytime I walk past it I have to reach out just to confirm its plastic :smile: On wheels you could shift it around as needed and because its not fixed then the body courporate hopefully wouldnt fuss.

The privacy screen you have,  you could hang these style sheets off it potentialy at least toget a "green feel" of how it could look?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects