Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to design and build low-level pool side deck

sid2763
Finding My Feet

How to design and build low-level pool side deck

I've been planning to build a "L" shaped deck around my pool with Specrite 90x19 mm Maribu boards.

Max height is 160mm.

Max length is 14.3 meter

Max Width is 5.4 meter

I've attached a photo for more accurate dimensions. 

What size timber should I use for for Bearers and Joist.  Is  galvanised stirrups good for this project??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

20210914_124143.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to design and build low-level pool side deck

Hello @sid2763

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to build a low-level deck near your swimming pool.

Thank you for posting the measurements of your decking plan. Based on your 160mm proposed height, if you were to use Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm and SpecRite 90 x 19mm Pre-Oiled Select Grade Merbau Decking you would have a total of 109mm. This would leave you with a gap of 51mm enough space to use the Builders Edge Pedestal Foot Smallfoot 35 - 60mm or the Dunnings 100 x 100 x 50 x 5mm M12 Galvanised Angle Bracket.

Using galvanized stirrups is also an option but may require you to put packers in case the stirrup is short and not tall enough to reach the proper height. Using the Pedestal foot will allow you to adjust its height in case the decking floor area is not even. I also recommend putting adequate drainage in case of a heavy downpour. 

I suggest having a look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W to help you plan your deck. 

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @ProjectPete  for their recommendations.

Here are some of our featured low-level deck projects shared by our members:

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @sid2763,

Looks like a good deck project just in time for the weather to improve!

The size of the timber you use will have a big influence on number of bearers your design will need. Using a span table is one way to make sure that your design will be built to the correct specifications, but it can be difficult to interpret span tables correctly. Regarding the stirrups, it would be useful to know what you currently have covering the area that you intend to deck over? If it is concrete, the pedestals that @EricL suggested would be worth considering, but if it is paved or grass/dirt you could definitely use galvanised stirrups, as you can dig down and concrete the stirrups in at whatever level is necessary for your deck. One thing worth noting is that most stirrups are designed for posts, so you may need to use double bearers.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck!

sid2763
Finding My Feet

Thanks for the response.

Bit more information,

The proposed deck will be built on the the grass.

@EricL, if I'm not wrong, you r suggesting Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm for both Bearer and Joist.

@tom_builds, where can I find the span table.

Can I use timber post??

I've uploaded another pic, if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

20210915_091228.jpg

Hi @sid2763, I hyperlinked the span table in my original reply, so if you click the words span table (highlighted in blue), it will open a pdf of the span table

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sid2763 

Thank you for posting those updates. Yes, I suggest using Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm as bearer and joist.  If you are building on the soil you could use TuffBlock 300 x 300 x 90mm Instant Foundation System Deck Support. There is also the DEKO 250 x 150 x 150mm Instant Concrete Foundation Block. The area would have to be prepared and leveled if you decide to use these deck support systems. You would also need to reconsider the height of your deck as these footings are higher than 51mm. However, if these systems are not suitable, you can always use traditional timber footings.

I strongly recommend that you plan out the drainage of the area so that you will not have any issues when you get a heavy downpour. 

If you need more advice and information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects