Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to determine size of gate post needed?

TAEncBay37
Just Starting Out

How to determine size of gate post needed?

I am looking to install a side gate at our home made of steel with Ekodeck screening. The gate will be 1m wide X 1.7m high and will weigh 52kgs. I am intending to hang it off a steel post cemented into the ground (600mm deep in a 300mm wide concrete base) using 65mm x 65mm X 2mm Duraglav steel tube, the gate hanging on two ball bearing hinges!

Appreciate if anyone can advise me if the proposed steel tube gate post seems adequate to the task of supporting the gate or direct me to a source of a design calculator that can assist in determining the size of post needed?

Regards

TAEncBay 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to determine size of gate post needed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TAEncBay37. It's tremendous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about selecting a post size.

Your proposed steel tube gate post of 65mm x 65mm x 2mm should be sufficient to support your gate. The intended footer also appears to be in the right ballpark.

It is also worth noting whether the post will be free-standing or connected to a fence or other structure. If the post is free-standing, it may be more susceptible to wind load and lateral forces, which could affect the stability of the gate. It is best if the weight of the gate is offset by having the post connected to another structure on the other side, which will provide additional support and stability to the gate.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects