Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to dig a trench?

Daddysloth
Finding My Feet

How to dig a trench?

i need to dig and cement a trench a long a fence line to stop my dog from digging to get underneath to my neighbours backyard, i need to know what equipment i need?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: trench

Hello @Daddysloth 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about cementing a trench.

It all depends on the size of the area you are trying to cover. A single 20kg bag of concrete will cover an approximate area of 500mm x 500mm at 50mm thick. If you have an area where you can mix it then all you will need is a shovel. But if there is no convenient place to mix it in, I suggest using a wheelbarrow as a mixing spot.

Pets sometimes have too much energy and they often try to find activities that allow them to use that energy to calm themselves down. I recommend having a look at our best advice - How do you stop a dog digging in the garden? If are they still insistent on digging near the fence line, you can try spraying vinegar near the area to deter them from digging in that spot.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your advice. At the moment I need a quick fix & I've been told about a mesh like fence that I can push into the dirt to prevent her getting under the fence but I'll also try spraying vinegar 

Thx daddysloth 

Hi @Daddysloth,

Trench mesh could certainly be used for that purpose. Even laying it on the ground in front of the fence and pegging it in place would prevent your dog from getting under the fence. Also, you could consider laying pavers in front of the fence.

Check out this discussion for a few helpful tips: How to stop a dog from digging underneath a fence?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That was suggested when I went into bunnings tonight & bought some thx 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects