Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to divert water from roof tile to gutter?

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

How to divert water from roof tile to gutter?

Hello,

Just have 2 questions.

1. Any suggestions on what I can use to divert the water from the end roof tile into the gutter? Gutter doesn't go all the way to the end unfortunately and now it drips onto the timber causing it to rot.

20240127_151719.jpg

20240126_193506.jpg

2. Maroon aluminium cover doesn't actually cover the whole timber. Causing it to also rot at the bottom. Is there a flashing of some sort I can just screw on to cover the bottom bit of the exposed timber? 

20240127_184336.jpg

20240127_151742.jpg

Thank you 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gutter and flashing too short

Hi @Glorz,

The first issue looks like it will need a bit of custom flashing work to catch that water and divert it into the gutter. You can pick up a sheet of galvanised steel to cut and form a catchment. The gutter could also be extended to capture the water from this area. You might like to enlist the services of a professional if you haven't worked with gal sheeting before. Also, painting that timber with a quality exterior paint will provide a water-resistant layer and help prevent decay. 

There are a number of apron flashings that can be slid up under the existing flashing in your second image. You might need to undo those screws and pull the new flashing underneath before re-fixing.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects