Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to do maintenance on the lock and closer on a hinged flyscreen door?

darlinrob1
Just Starting Out

How to do maintenance on the lock and closer on a hinged flyscreen door?

The closer has been acting erratically,  It swings the door to close but stops a short way from closed. It then slams the door shut quite quickly over the short distance  to 'closed'

The lock is then jammed shut and very difficult to open. The lock is not closed but is still open.

I have tried to dismantle the lock after undoing various screws I can take off the handles but I cannot take out the lock mechanism. Also I do not know what to do with the closer to stop it closing so fiercly

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to do maintenance on the lock and closer on a hinged flyscreen door?

Hi @darlinrob1,

Sorry to read of the dramas with your flyscreen door and for the delay in getting a reply. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist as soon as possible. In the meantime, you might like to take some photos so members can see what you are working with and be in a better position to suggest a fix or replacement parts. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get plenty of helpful advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative community. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @darlinrob1

I'm sorry to hear that your door closer and lock are acting up. For us to give you a comprehensive recommendation, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the end of your door closer mechanism and your door lock?  The door lock in your flyscreen has a special mechanism that prevents it from being removed. There are several types of door closers, some with easy adjusting screws. Once we see the photos we will be able to give you a better diagnosis.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

darlinrob1
Just Starting Out

Eric L,

Thanks for your email. It is good of you to have given me your advice. However I have replaced the closer with a new Rolltrak which is working satisfactorily.

Best wishes

David

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @darlinrob1

It's good to hear that you've repaired your flyscreen door. If you find yourself tackling another project please don't hesitate to post. Our members will be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects