Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose back verandah patio?

TessaJones36
Just Starting Out

How to enclose back verandah patio?

Hi! Complete newbies for renos etc. We are thinking of enclosing the back patio space to make a room. So we can have air con.

No leaks, It has condensation issues though so everything gets ruined with mould and is quite hot so a wasted space.

  Has anyone DIY something like this? I have looked for videos etc. So, insulating is a must but basically can we turn it into a room ourselves? The previous owner did this himself. 

20211118_101902.jpg

20211118_101957.jpg

20211118_101935.jpg

  

20211118_101945.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to enclose back verandah patio?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TessaJones36. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about enclosing a verandah.

Before you start, you'll need to check with your local council to see if a permit is required. Apart from that, I don't see any reason why you couldn't turn this into an enclosed room. It has all the makings of one, including a roof, the structural posts supporting it and a floor. You have excellent high beams under the roof, which will be perfect for insulation. However, what you'll likely end up with is a room that's tacked onto the house. It's probably never going to be quite as air-tight and insulated as the rest of the home. This somewhat comes down to your ability to build the walls and install adequate insulation.

If you are planning to have air-con in the room, ceiling and wall insulation is a must, and I'd suggest Earthwool R2.7 SHD 90mm x 430mm x 1160mm 4.99m² Insulation SoundShield Wall Batt in the walls and Earthwool R5.0 210mm x 430mm x 1160mm 5.49m² Insulation Ceiling Batt. They are about as high an R-value rating as you'll get in Earth wool insulation.

Here as some step-by-step guides which you should find useful:

That might be enough to give you a general idea of some of the elements involved. I'm sure you'll have more questions and our knowledgeable members a ready and willing to answer them. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Neen
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, my back patio is very similar what to Tessa Jones posted in November 2021.  How to enclose the back verandah patio?

I too am considering enclosing my back patio into a lounge area.  I don't have a condensation issue but a heat issue so I too will be installing insulation.  At the moment there is brick paving for the floor which I intend to remove and replace with either a concrete slab (100mm x 10m x 5m) or a timber subfloor finishing it off with tongue flooring (yellow, green, or red, not sure which is best)

It comes down to a cost,  which do you recommend as the cheapest option?

Concrete slab or timber but I'm not sure of the cost. 

V's

Timber framed floor

Could you please advise if the timber below is the sizing I require and if so how much timber would be required for the subfloor and the most suitable tongue flooring to use? The 19mm or 22mm

Joists  5.4m  x 90 x 45 Treated pine timber framing H3

Bearers  6m x 120 x 45 Treated pine timber framing H3 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Neen 

Thanks for sharing your question about enclosing your patio. Let me try and answer some of your questions. This project you're about to undertake is a bit involved and will require the services of a builder. 

• In order to get a quote for the concrete slab you'll need to know the area and the depth of the slab. You can then contact a local concrete supplier and find out how much it will cost to pour the concrete in your area. It will cost a bit more if they have to pump the concrete due to lack of access.

• A timber flooring frame is faster to build, but I suggest consulting a builder or a draughts person as it will be used as a room. It will technically need a proper plan especially if you need to file for a permit. 

• The joist and bearer size will depend on the size of the floor and what it's purpose will be. But the timber sizes you mentioned are often used when building flooring frames. 

Before proceeding any further, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations regarding the addition of a room to your current dwelling. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects