Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure a flush bearer-deck-post connection?

Michael11
Cultivating a Following

How to ensure a flush bearer-deck-post connection?

Hello,

I know there has been some really helpful discussions on bearer deck post connections already (including this one that was really useful) but I was just wondering whether you had any advice about options for ensuring the connection with the deck post is flush so I can attach a vertical fascia decking board to the perimeter bearer (that is unobstructed by bolts/screw head sticking out)? 

I know a bolt/coach screw is an ideal for a bearer/post connection but would say 2-4 washer head or bugle/lag screws per post (that sit flush) work OK?

For a bit of context, I'm building a single level box step (width of 3 decking boards) for my deck out of 140x45 H3 treated pine and have notched out my posts which are 90x90mm (as per photo attached). I've used Buildex 16G Type 17 screws to fasten joists to perimeter bearers.  

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,  

Michael

Deck box stepDeck box step

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to ensure a flush bearer-deck-post connection?

That should be fine, @Michael11. Though, if I understand correctly, to use a bolt or coach screw, you'd just countersink the head with a spade bit. Start with a spade bit that is slightly larger than the head of the bolt and drill into the bearer to the depth of the bolt head. Then, swap out the bit and drill a hole through the bearer for the bolt shank. When you insert your bolt and tighten it, the head will sit within the larger hole you drilled out with the spade bit. You can then install your fascia board over the top.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Michael11
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to ensure a flush bearer-deck-post connection?

Thanks so much for this Mitchell. This is super helpful & a great idea!

Thanks again,

Michael 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects