Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fabricate a wood floor for a garden shed?

Yotaboy98
Finding My Feet

How to fabricate a wood floor for a garden shed?

Am looking for alternatives to laying concrete pavers to place my 3m x 2.3m and 3m x 1.2m garden sheds. Have calculated cost of sand and pavers at almost $800 and am curious if wood framing and a good sheeting would be a better option.

Anyone with experience in best materials/methods would be appreciated?

thanks in advance...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fabricate a wood floor for a garden shed?

Hi @Yotaboy98,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members. 

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to assist you when he is back on the site later today. In the meantime, I would encourage you to take a look at How to pour a concrete slab by experienced Workshop member @tom_builds. I'm sure Tom and most other members would recommend a concrete slab as the best flooring option for your garden sheds. 

Some other previous discussions you might find useful include:

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Yotaboy98

If we were to look at your shed flooring options from a cost point of view, there are a few options. My concern is which one will provide you with the best protection and the longest service life. I've made some rough calculations below for your consideration.

• A typical paver such as the Brighton Masonry 200 x 100 x 50mm Charcoal Mypave Paver will cost you .89 cents each. I've calculated your total floor area for both sheds at 10.5 SQ2. Each square meter requires 50 pavers. So 10.5 x 50 = 525 x .89c = $467.25. Depending on what kind of border you'll be putting in, it will need to be added to the overall cost. Keep in mind that you'll still need paving sand and cement to make cement anchor footings for your shed. 
  • If you were to use Ekodeck, you would need a minimum of 15 panels at 5.4-meter lengths. When multiplied with its current price of 90 dollars. It will cost you $1,350 and that does not include the timber framing.
  • Using Merbau Decking Panel you'll approximately need 117 linear meters, multiplied with its current price of $5.95 will give you a total of $696.15. Again framing is not included.

There are other options such as James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 15mm 2.88m² HardiePanel FlooringUltimate Flooring 1.0 x 1.0m x 10mm Black Rubber Shed Paver, and the Matrix Fast floor Panel. When compared to a concrete floor, the price is not the thing that comes to mind, but the durability, longevity, and protection it will provide to the items inside the shed.  

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your shed flooring installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Sorry Jason, the one thing that I have realised that I omitted from my post was the fact that I am renting  - so anything permanently installed is a no no.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Yotaboy98

Thank you for the update. I suggest reading this discussion - Cheapest, easiest flooring for a new 3x3m shed by @Pip. I recommend speaking to your local council and seeing if they have approved methods of anchoring sheds without having to put in a permanent cement footing in the ground. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects