Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill fence post gap?

elbow
Getting Established

How to fill fence post gap?

Hey guys i put up a bespoke fence recently but due to some difficulties where i could place my fence posts i now have a gap that i need to close. On the left i have a horizontal slat in position and the vertical bracket/channel its slots into. If i fix the bracket/channel directly to the post on the right, the slat(s) wont reach  🙄

So my problem is how do i fill the gap. My initial thoughts were to buy a plastic square pole - however the gap tapers from 30mm to 20mm so i would need to adjust the pole but i cant even find one. I'm really struggling to find anything i can use to fill the gap and attached the bracket/channel to, and then subsequently attach to the fence post where i can then finish with the rest of the slats. Any help would ne hugely appreciated, im all out of ideas 😭 Additional - I'm trying to avoid using wood if possible. gate2.jpggate1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: FENCE POST GAP - HELP!?

Hello @elbow 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your fence.

Have you considered putting in a timber insert? A timber piece can be much easier to trim down so that it fits into the gap perfectly. You can screw the posts into it so that both sides are supported, and it can be painted black so that it blends in with the fence.  

If you get a treated piece of timber such as 70x35 H3 it should last quite a while before it needs replacing and if painted will provide a much longer service life.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @JacobZ95 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
elbow
Getting Established

Hello Eric I should have mentioned re the wood option - I'm really trying to avoid using wood although its the easiest option of course but i'm trying to avoid termites and maintenance long term - ill try and edit the post to reflect this but if wood ends up being my only option, what trpe would be a good choice and what to paint it with?  :smile: 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @elbow 

Its always a pain having something not quiet right, So no timber prefered :smile: I was heading straight for it lol

How about using a piece of Composite Decking instead? You could cut it to size (that 30mm down to 20mm) and to make it wider you could have two pieces back to back. It wont rot or warp either.

Dave

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: How to fill fence post gap?

Hi @elbow,

Could you use something like Metal Mate 32x3mm 3m Black Aluminium Flat Bar?

Then just pull the post on the right over while screwing off to keep the gap consistent.

Let me know what you think,

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Is there any chance you could address the tapering issue @elbow? Is either the posts in your image or those out of frame not perpendicular to the ground? Obviously, if they are concreted into a footer, there might not be a chance of adjustment. If this is a case of one of the posts being out of alignment, you could potentially use a rachet strap around the top of the two posts and pull them together. You'd need to be careful not to damage them, but that could help minimise the gap, correct the taper and allow you to fix off to your gap filler.

Since you are looking for options, what about a Jack 34mm x 1.8m Black Jumbo Garden Stake

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
elbow
Getting Established

Hello Dave, this is deffo one to consider if i cant get anything plastic. i hadn't considered the non-rot aspect so will look into that - thank you

elbow
Getting Established

Re: How to fill fence post gap?

Hey Jacob, thanks for the suggestion. the post on the right is fixed into the ground and the left one, if moved over will then not hold the slats, as will be too far away  :unhappy: 

elbow
Getting Established

Hey Mitchell

thank you for the ideas - unfortunately its a case of needing something to plug the tapered gap. The post on the right is fixed into the ground, and the taper is something i cannot change unless i reset one of the posts at either end of this fence section which at this stage i could not even contemplate so i have to live with it. 😭 the fence slats slide into position, guided by the runners attached to the main posts, so i cant move anything unfortunately 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @elbow 

Just reading down through the comments and I had a thought. Could you put a spacer on the post to the left that we cant see and then the slat guide on that? It may reduce the tappering to the point it will be hidden by the slat guide.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects