Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap under Colorbond fence?

pucca999
Finding My Feet

How to fill gap under Colorbond fence?

Hi! I'm looking to put something on the bottom of my colorbond fence because I want to install artificial grass and I'm afraid the crusher dust will go into my neighbours yard. Currently the bottom of the fence has bricks but it's not flush against the panels and there's also parts of the bricks missing. If I install a colorbond panel on the bottom it won't be flush. Any suggestions what to do? My ultimate goal is for it to look nice (no timber sleepers) and matching the colorbond fence and also stops the crusher dust going into next door. My fence also sits on a small slope. Thanks in advance

20230912_101951.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fill gap under Colorbond fence?

Hello @pucca999,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're delighted to have you here and trust you're finding this site a great resource for inspiring D.I.Y. ideas and helpful advice.

Thanks for your question. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to suggest some ideas once he's online later today. In the meantime, let me tag some of our helpful members @Baggs@Dave-1 and @diy_hausdesigns to see if they have any thoughts.

While waiting, you may also want to check out our Top 10 most popular landscaping projects as well as the Top 10 most popular fence projects shared on Workshop in case they spark any ideas. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @pucca999,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. You've joined a very encouraging, inspiring and helpful bunch of people!

I would encourage you to check out this previous discussion - How to fill the gap between Colorbond fence and concrete? kicked off by Workshop member @karmadra as it seems very similar to your problem.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pucca999 

Thanks for sharing your question about filling the gap under your Colorbond fence. Between filling and covering the gap under your fence, I would suggest covering it as it will be easier to build and adjust should the soil level begin to move.

Filling the gap means that you'll need to dig out some portions of the bottom of the fence in order for the timber filler to fit in. It becomes labour intensive specially if you have a very long fence. When compared to covering the gap it is very straight forward and can be accomplished by using 150 x 50mm 3.0m Treated Pine Sleeper H4 in combination with 50mm Sleeper Peg Galvanised Steel.

A little bit of levelling will be required so that the sleeper covers the gap neatly, but other than that it will adjust to the changing level of the soil even in heavy rain.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

pucca gap fence1.jpg

What would I do with the bricks under the fence? Because it's sticking out of the fence at the moment. There's many of it and I have a long fence.

20230912_101917.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @pucca999 

Another way to cover the gap is to build a sleeper footing and placing a cover cap over it. This will save you from having to remove the bricks specially if it is mortared into place. Plus, you'll be able to use the surface of the cover cap as a shelf to put plants on. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how to build it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

pucca gap fence2.jpg

Is there any other alternatives other than timber? We get a lot of sun in the fence area and I'm not the best at maintence. Is it possible to do fibre cement sheeting or aluminium edging against those bricks/fence?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pucca999,

If you use treated Pine sleepers there will be little to no maintenance. You could use fibre cement or aluminium; perhaps you could take a look at some of our garden edging, they might suit.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects