Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill the gap between concrete slabs in driveway?

varununi
Growing in Experience

How to fill the gap between concrete slabs in driveway?

Hi all,

I want to know a DIY method of filling in the gap in the concrete driveway as in the image. Kindly recommend the 

1. Product 

2. Process 

Thanks! 

IMG_20211111_161203.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill the gap between concrete slabs in driveway?

Hello @varununi

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to fill gaps between concrete slabs in the driveway.

I suggest cleaning the gap with a Saxon Hand Cultivator or similarly sharp tool. Use a brush to clean out all the dust and debris in the gap. You can also use a pressure cleaner to get the surface of the gap clean. Make sure the gap is totally dry before applying Gripset Betta 1L Concrete Crack Filler. It is solvent-free, non-flammable, and free of hazardous odours. It has excellent adhesion to new and aged concrete surfaces. Please give it sufficient time to fully cure before walking on it.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the gap filled and your driveway repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
varununi
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL for the help!

Reading through the reviews of this product it seems it shrinks the concrete... Any personal reviews you have? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @varununi,

According to the reviewer, the product shrunk "a little". However, I suspect the product didn't actually shrink. What most likely happened here is that the product penetrated deeply into the crack and gave the illusion of it shrinking. It's a feature of the product that it penetrates deeply into the crack, and completing two applications to make sure the crack is filled completely would alleviate any issue.

Alternatively, if you'd like another product suggestion, I can recommend Sika 300ml Grey Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant in a caulking gun.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

varununi
Growing in Experience

thanks @MitchellMc i'll get the product as advised.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @varununi and let us know if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

varununi
Growing in Experience

Sorry guys! I haven't put much attention to this - life is so busy! I noticed the gap has increased a bit. See new image - does it need some backer rod before I use the Gripset Betta 1L Concrete Crack Filler?

IMG_20220331_123539__01.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @varununi

Your idea of putting in a backer rod first is perfect.  I suggest using Moroday 10mm x 5m White Gap Filler Rod. Please make sure to clean the gap thoroughly as we discussed, before putting in the backer rod. Make sure to keep it nice and level so that when you put the Gripset Betta 1L Concrete Crack Filler in it will level with the backer rod.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your pathway gap fixed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects