Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill voids in textured concrete

Fastally
Just Starting Out

How to fill voids in textured concrete

10E5A1A4-BBF6-4D91-B870-AAF2C3935EE7.jpeg

Hi all,

I’ve just moved into a new home and the back garden area has textured concrete brick effect.

I would like to level the area and put matting or Astro grass for the kids to use as a play area. 

The voids are approx 10mm. 
Any ideas what I could use to fill the voids and level the area? Any help appreciated. 

4E83A5DE-367C-4636-9EB6-09966FE7776C.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fill voids in textured concrete

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Fastally and thanks for reaching out with your question.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday. I'm sure our members will have plenty of great suggestions in the meantime.

We'd love to see your progress and the end result, so please feel free to share any questions or updates along the way.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Fastally,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, and many thanks for your question.

You might like to do a test section to see if adding sand to the gaps would be sufficient. That would require the least amount of work, and the area could be restored if needed. It would be worth considering Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand as it includes a binder to stop the sand shifting. Alternatively, for a more permanent solution, you could cover the area with Lanko 20kg 173 Floor Leveller and coat it with paving and concrete paint. You'll need to check how level the area is, as when a slope is present, the Lanko product will self-level to adjust.

If you were to purchase a DIY Turf 1 x 1m 20mm Pile Grass Mat and Brunnings 20kg Landscape Paver Sand, it would give you a fairly good idea of whether the sand would suffice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitch, 

Thanks for the ideas. 
Think I’ll try the sand then the turf first. 
Is there something I can lay underneath the turf to give it some bounce for kids falling? 
Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Rubber paving mats would be suitable @Fastally. The Swing Slide Climb 1 x 1m x 20mm Shock Pad Rubber Paver is used if there is a risk of a fall from height.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects