Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish a deck at a door threshold?

Johno2021
Finding My Feet

How to finish a deck at a door threshold?

I’m building a deck out the backyard and i have an issue with trying to make my decking boards level to the back sliding door but there’s a brick sill in the way which I don’t want to remove so I was wondering if there’s a way I can justify the situation without having to demolish the brick work. 

8A5B93AB-1FD0-493F-A61C-31DBFA8D0CF2.jpeg

3A3AD838-F15D-4B90-80A9-2472D511DE2F.jpeg

7A77EE78-BF30-44CB-BCCA-6C5E4D5D4BF3.jpeg

The thickness of the decking boards are 35mm. Thanks 

E261D2C1-F887-419A-9DAC-1FE1602AE53A.jpeg

0AEA0401-A57A-4E4D-9884-6E0C7CE5432E.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Johno2021. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

I think we can find a solution, but first, I'd like to hear more about your deck materials. It appears you'll be using 90 x 35mm 3.3m Outdoor Framing F27 Hardwood KD for the decking board, which would be an unusual choice of materials. Typically you'd use 90 x 19mm Merbau SpecRite Pre Oiled KD Select Decking which is a third of the price and would likely be easier to work with up to the door threshold.

The issue I presume you're experiencing at the moment is that when you add the 35mm thick timber on top of your frame, it's higher than the door frame. 19mm decking timber would transition much better. I've created the renderings below to illustrate. You'll likely need to use plastic wedges to offset the angle of the door threshold bricks. You could still use the 35mm hardwood, but your deck will be slightly above the height of the door frame.

Bear in mind that typically you don't want a deck to be level with a doorframe, as in a storm, the water on the deck will be blown off the deck and into the door frame.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects