Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a broken downpipe?

youngkim
Just Starting Out

How to fix a broken downpipe?

Hi all,

refer to photos,

The downpipe is broken and leaking.

how can I fix it??

i think the broken one should be replaced but i have no idea which kind of stuff I should choose and buy.

please give me advice 🙏

IMG_4805.jpeg

IMG_4823.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: broken downpipe

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @youngkim. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a downpipe.

To start with, it's important to know that in many locations, a licensed plumber or roof drainage expert is required to perform this work as it falls under plumbing work, so I recommend you enlist their services to perform the repair.

It appears that there is a crack in the downpipe bend at the base of the downpipe. Further investigation and excavation would be needed to determine the exact angle of the bend. The basic procedure would be to cut out the damaged bend and re-install a new one. Your drainage expert will easily be able to install the new bend for you. 

On a side note, the pressure and volume of water being expelled from the crack indicates that the line is potentially blocked and needs to be cleaned out. The water should be free-flowing down the pipe and into the stormwater pipe and not pressurised to the extent of squirting out the crack.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects